Salon owner on maternity: employed vs self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to salon geek so hope you can help.

I own a beauty salon and have two employees employed by myself. I am trying to forward plan as we are shortly going to be trying to start for our first child. I will need some extra help regardless of the fact I will be taking short maternity as one of my girls would like to reduce her hours. Our main services are lashes, nails and waxing.
My dilemma is, whether I look at finding someone who is happy to be self employed or if I employ the therapist. What have others experienced or would recommend I look in to. Any advise would be brilliant!

Thank you!!!

Have you read the thread at the top about self employment? That self employed staff can start when they want, leave when they want and holiday when they want. And if they don't work you don't get any money!

Having employed staff I could never go to SE as I like the control. It may work for your business but ensure you stick to the SE guidelines.

Good luck x

I was in the same dilemma as u when I had my first child and I decided to go for employed so I had some control and am so glad I did. I took someone on as a maternity cover - she was recently qualified and glad of the experience and I eventually did end up keeping her on but it was a good option. I made sure that at first clients booked in with her for treatments she was more confident with and she shadowed other staff for treatments when she was quiet. I also had her start 6 weeks before I finished so I could show her the ropes and assess her abilities etc. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back