Salon rental - am I responsible for building insurance?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbert

Reaction score
Hi
I've been enquiring into renting a property to operate as a small beauty Salon, and it seems to be just what I need.
When I went to look again last week, she mentioned having to pay towards an annual fire alarm check and buildings insurance which is split between the tenant in the flat above and myself (about £120) a year.
This has left me puzzled because I also rent my house and only pay contents insurance as the property is not mine. Surely that is her responsibility as owner of the property, or am I wrong???

Hi Shellbert

Commercial property is very different to residential - the 2 parties entering a business to business relationship.

That's why it is essential to have a contract in place and read it very carefully.

So yes, the Landlord can include whatever they want. But, you can negotiate. Remember though that the Landlord will pass on these costs to their tennant one way or another (e.g. By increasing the rent).

It would be worth investigating the market rent in your area before negotiating.

#The joys of business.

If it helps, these expenses are all allowable for tax.

I pay contents insurance and my landlord pays building insurance. He also wanted to charge me £500 for ground maintenance which I said I would do and he agreed. Most things are open to negotiation but as has been said, they can do whatever.

Do also take legal advice. Things like break clauses are normal and allow you out of your lease without penalty.

Vic x

Yes I understand now. Just waiting for landlady to bring me a contract. Yes....the joys of business! [emoji23]
Many thanks x

yup joys of renting commercially the balls always in the landlords court which i think is unfair and think goverment should start putting restrictions or things in place like they have with residential {hence why we wouldn't have so many empty shops} my ex landlord tried that one charging me for building insurance but it wasnt in my lease and i said its your building you pay it which he eventually backed down. however after being in the property 5 years he did f all to the property we ended up with damp and all sorts of disrepair which he was "suppose" to do, which he never did ending up the salon ceiling collasped in on me and now im too ill to do the career i used to once love. So don't let them rip you off after all they are getting rent. They usually want you to redecorate and be responsible for shop fronts and all that balony but like i said this is were the goverment need to start look into to start helping commercial tennants as you have no protection what so ever good luck x

Latest posts

Back