Salon room on % basis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi
Don't worry I have read loads of threads in the last 2 hours about room renting and have wrote down loads of ideas/questions/tips etc!
I would just like a little more guidance.
I may be going to use a room on a % basis-ie the owner gets a percentage of each client that I do. Can this be done? And what % do I offer? I only lash at the moment and my infills start at £20, I will be doing tinting soon so that is even less. I'm terrible with numbers but have a percentage calculator on my phone but do you guys know what would be acceptable?
It's not in my very local area so I will need to be getting in brand new clients. I will do my own advertising,have my own stock, book my own apps etc. I don't want to rent on a daily/weekly basis as if I don't get any people I'll be out of pocket.
I've thought I will check lighting/heating is there any other things I should ask/check?
I work mobile at the moment but I'm struggling and hoping being based in a salon environment may help me get those clients in!
I would be really excited to get a little room and set up and decorate as I like-but can I only do that if I rent?
I want to work the hours I choose and will be self employed, just giving a %.
And advice and tips fearfully recieved! thanks xx

If your providing your own products then the average percentage where I live is 60% to you 40% to the salon. If your lucky you may get 70/30.

If the salon provides your products then its usually 50/50 or some times 60% to them 40% to you x

Oh thankyou. Do you think that's ok, obviously I will use electric so would all that be included?
I know it's probably much simpler to just rent but I don't have disposable cash and if I don't get clients then I can't pay rent!x

It's difficult because you also need to see it from the point of view of the person letting you have the room. They would like to have an income from this room too. So I'm not sure if you will find a place where you will get all of the things you list.

Have an idea of how many hours that you will do, will you be present when you have no bookings, will you have fixed times? I rent a room and I'm there 3 days a week, which I pay a fixed rent for. But no one can use the room whilst I am not there, I have decorated it with my fittings and furniture. So I am very lucky that I only pay for the days that I am there.

Thanks ch-ela, good point.
Do you mind me asking what you pay for a 3 day week rent?x

Thanks ch-ela, good point.
Do you mind me asking what you pay for a 3 day week rent?x

The rent in this area is about £20-25 a day, but I guess that it depends on which part of the country you are.

You will also need to consider that if you are in a hairsalon, how many stylists are there working there? If it is only one, it will be so much more difficult to gain any clients.

And the thing that makes the most difference where I am is the parking. We have plenty of street parking in front of the salon.

Thank you. I know there is parking. I've done a bit of research, it's a nail salon with 2 staff. They also do sunbeds.
I know there is plenty of street parking and it's actually in a town whereas at the moment I'm in a village and very quiet! There is one other salon in the area.x

Anyone else have any ideas or advice? What kind of percentage split would be fair to us both? 60/40? 70/30?
Im meeting her soon so would love a better idea of what to ask and suggest, thanks x

Starting from stratch with no clients you will find it hard at first.i would suggest putting offers on to draw people in.
Make sure your happy with the% split as it got to work for you too and not just her.
Does she do lashes aswell ?

Yes I'll definately so offers.
No she's just nails. I'm all eye beauty treatments. So we won't share clients in that sense. I've worked out splits of 20% 30% and 40% to her but don't want to be greedy myself! I've got to buy my stock and possibly furniture don't know til I get there! I may need a small desk/trolley and beauty bed as yet! Any idea on what's a normal %?
Should I do a % for first 3 months or something then maybe start a weekly or daily rent? X

Not sure I do beauty on a 60/40 split owner gets 60. 40% isn't a great deal sometimes. I rent a hair chair tho at a daily rate. So can't help with your question really

I think when you're first starting out a % will give you piece of mind as if you don't earn you don't pay. I own a salon and rent a room to another beautician a couple of days a week on a 30/70 split. I think you will have to make your mind up, agree with the salon owner and stick to it. I for one would not go with the 20% for this treatment 10 for another 30 for another, I also would not go for a % split and when you feel you've got a good client base want to change it to a day week rate!

Choose one, discuss and stick to it. Xx

Thanks for all your advise!
She was so lovely and really thinks I'll do well there she's had lots of people ask about lashes so it's looking good.
We've agreed on a 70/30 split but she thinks that's a lot for her! She's very laid back and so nice but I'm not gonna take advantage, she feels bad taking 30% off me but I know I'm lucky with that as people pay a lot more all over the country and probably for less. The room is large and I can use her beauty couch. I've just got to buy a stool, trolley, towels and any other bits I might wanna put in there she said I can make it look however I want in there.
I'm going to leaflet drop around all the houses and hopefully get some appointments to start next week. She doesn't mind when I'm there and is gonna get me a key cut so I can go if she's not there. It's all really good! 😄 I'm finally happy and hope this is a job that will give me good earnings.x

Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes.

Vicki x

Latest posts

Back