Salon ventilation - legal requirements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellasmum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of looking into setting up a new Salon in my town centre and need some advice on ventilation requirements. I have looked at HABIA but am still unclear on what is a legal requirement versus best practice. I have 290 sq foot on the downstairs of the salon and am looking at 3 nail stations to include L&P, the building is listed and therefore putting any holes in the walls for extraction is a no no.........any advice on this please? I would like to provide a good safe working environment for all involved but am on a budget.

Many Thanks Samantha

There are no legal requirements as far as I know but local Environmental Health will insist on a safe working environment.

Even with 3 busy stations good working practices should minimise vapour problems with just good ventilation. (download the Habia Code of Practice)

Local exhaust is good to have but not always practical for various reasons, finances being one.

If your local EHD are up to date with recent HSE research they will know that dust is potentially more hazardous. There are plenty of ways to minimise dust. Again look at the Code of Practice.

As long as you follow these guidelines (and have the CoP ready to show any formal visit) I doubt you will have problems

Thanks Marian for the advice, I have downloaded the HCOP and am going through it now. Sam

hi i have just opened my own small nail bar and environmental health said that as there are no windows in my area (I am renting a part of a hair salon) i needed to get a desk top extractor/fan - the ones that have charcoal filters in them and are about the size of a small desk lamp. They are around £100 to buy new as i have been shopping around for one. They also told me to wear a mask that doesnt allow vapours through - some masks only stop dust. She recommend Arco for those. I am also going to use low odour acrylic so as not to affect other people in the hair salon. (I know some vapours are still emitted but there is no strong odour like with traditional liquid monomers. All hazardous liquids need to be stored safely too - mine are kept on a rack with glass shelves (try looking up COSHH - control of substances hazardous to health) Hope this helps!:)

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of looking into setting up a new Salon in my town centre and need some advice on ventilation requirements. I have looked at HABIA but am still unclear on what is a legal requirement versus best practice. I have 290 sq foot on the downstairs of the salon and am looking at 3 nail stations to include L&P, the building is listed and therefore putting any holes in the walls for extraction is a no no.........any advice on this please? I would like to provide a good safe working environment for all involved but am on a budget.

Many Thanks Samantha

No ventilation is far from ideal. It's not just monomer that is a problem but also polish remover and tip remover, used wipes etc. Plus airborne dust that you can't see.

Vapour masks are quite bulky!

Have you trained/practised with low odour? It is very different from traditional monomer and has its own set of hazards e.g. overexposure

I don't mean to sound negative but just pointing out potential 'issues'. I also suggest you download the Habia Code of Practice

Even without legal requirements, would you want yourself/ your staff/ clients, breathing in dust and monomer on a regular basis? Health and safety applies to salon owners too. Personally, I wouldnt expose myself to those substances without air filtration. I trust that the room has windows that open?
An aircon company can advise you, mobile aircon units can be rented quite cheaply.

I think the first consideration when opening any new premises should be that whatever building or room you choose should be able to be adapted to provide a clean working environment. If you can't do anything to alter the building to provide what you need, I'd look at a different situation.

Hi im looking for some advice,i am thinking of renting a room in a beauty salon it is only 4 metres suqre

I am a hairdresser and iv just realised the potential hazards, no windows and the door would need to be shut because of noise
I would have to store / mix ip products in the same room
Can i get advice as i cant find any
There is no ventilation.
Thank you CC

Hi im looking for some advice,i am thinking of renting a room in a beauty salon it is only 4 metres suqre

I am a hairdresser and iv just realised the potential hazards, no windows and the door would need to be shut because of noise
I would have to store / mix ip products in the same room
Can i get advice as i cant find any
There is no ventilation.
Thank you CC
Hi Gianluca,
As you already know the hazards of toxic beauty products are well recognised and for someone in a poorly ventilated room working with these products on a regular basis it is almost certain to have health implications. If you take a look at www.ravair.co.uk or call Ravair on 01892750777 they will give you free advice. They have a range of "capture at source" units designed for rooms like yours and are used by colleges and training schools (CND etc) all over the UK.

Latest posts

Back