same name

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tranqbeauty

Reaction score
Hi i am hoping to open my own little salon and i have just found out that a woman down the road is using the salon name as me. I am soooo not happy. But what can i do? I have had the same name for the past year, just doing treatments at home. I am going to have to change my name and my stationary which i have already got, sorry but i have to tell someone.

There probably is nothing you can do unless you registered the name.

it depends on who has been bothered to register, pay the fees ...etc.
If she has registered the name and finds out you have been trading under the same name, she can sue you .... be careful

This happened to me when I was starting out. I'd been going a few months as Simply Nails and then discovered a place in a nearby town had just started up under the same name, and had just put a banner up in their window (it was a tanning shop but the banner had Simply Nails on as the nail lady had just started there).

It bothered me so much. We were both one-man-bands, doubt she had registered at Companies House as a public limited company lol, I know I hadn't. I kept thinking, what if she was rubbish and people talked about her business, and people associated that with mine?

After about a week I decided to change names. I'd had business cards etc printed, also 2,000 leaflets, but I just bit the bullet and had them all printed again with the new name (which I prefer heaps btw!).

The punchline is that she was only there for about 6 months and then disappeared without trace!!

So I know exactly how you feel hun, it is really annoying, but not much you can do. I would change my name for the salon, especially if she is down the same road as you. hth x

How annoying:irked:
this is a right pain!!!:mad:

If she has been there a while then i suppose that you will have to change your name Hun,
If she hasnt, maybe a chat with her and tell her your predicament if poss?
Really feel for you though and hope that you get this sorted:hug:

Hi
I can understand how annoying this must be for you.:mad: But if you do decide to change the name I know that vista print will print business cards for free as long as you have their company details on the back (which are discrete) all you have to pay is the postage. This is useful when you have the additional cost of premises and other bills to find.

This happened to me when I was starting out. I'd been going a few months as Simply Nails and then discovered a place in a nearby town had just started up under the same name, and had just put a banner up in their window (it was a tanning shop but the banner had Simply Nails on as the nail lady had just started there).

It bothered me so much. We were both one-man-bands, doubt she had registered at Companies House as a public limited company lol, I know I hadn't. I kept thinking, what if she was rubbish and people talked about her business, and people associated that with mine?

After about a week I decided to change names. I'd had business cards etc printed, also 2,000 leaflets, but I just bit the bullet and had them all printed again with the new name (which I prefer heaps btw!).

The punchline is that she was only there for about 6 months and then disappeared without trace!!

So I know exactly how you feel hun, it is really annoying, but not much you can do. I would change my name for the salon, especially if she is down the same road as you. hth x
Or check for yourself is she has registered the name (Google companies house) and if she hasn't register it as your name then inform her that she will have to change the name of her salon

Hi and i would just like to say thanks for all that.

Hi All

Unfortunately I have more experience in this area than I would like to have.

It is very damaging for someone to have the same or similar name to you. I would also recommend looking at
Find Trade Marks by Mark Text
to search for trade marks as these are more important than the name registered with companies house.

Trade mark and intellectual property law is very complex and massively expensive to enforce. For the last 3 years we have had a company coping us and for the last 2 years we have been taking legal action against them. We won, they are no longer trading and as part of the settlement we were given their website and trademark and had to remove all traces of Moor and Moor Spa from their products and literature but we did not recoup our costs (which were more than i would like to mention).

If anyone would like any advice or to know more on this just let me know.
Regards
Jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

Latest posts

Back