Scalp massage, is this now allowed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoshilee

Reaction score
Hi, following the briefing today I understand that facial massage is not allowed, can anyone advise if scalp massage is allowed please? I can't seem to find any information on this, thank you.

Massage apparently is fine but personally I wouldn’t do head massage for a while.

I also would not offer a scalp massage because the client is in your high risk zone. Check with your insurance as a guide.

I also would not offer a scalp massage because the client is in your high risk zone. Check with your insurance as a guide.
I contacted my insurance a couple of weeks ago, they just told me that no changes to the policy have been made & to follow government safety guidelines. I contacted another insurance company as my policy is due for renewal & they pretty much said the same so I’m sure every insurance company is going to say that. Clear as mud really!

Thank you for your replies. I understand that massage such as an Indian Head Massage would not be permitted as you are working in the high risk zone for the entire treatment. I often finish a 75 minute Full Body Massage with a quick 2 to 3 minute scalp massage as clients find it very relaxing. This is the bit I am unsure about as I know I will have clients asking why I can't do a quick few minutes on their scalp when they have been to the hairdressers for a cut and colour. I will check with my insurance company but I suspect they will say exactly the same as above! thank you.

Thank you for your replies. I understand that massage such as an Indian Head Massage would not be permitted as you are working in the high risk zone for the entire treatment. I often finish a 75 minute Full Body Massage with a quick 2 to 3 minute scalp massage as clients find it very relaxing. This is the bit I am unsure about as I know I will have clients asking why I can't do a quick few minutes on their scalp when they have been to the hairdressers for a cut and colour. I will check with my insurance company but I suspect they will say exactly the same as above! thank you.
At the hairdressers, they will have had their hair freshly washed so theres less risk there. There’s also something I saw online that massage should be kept to 45 minutes at the most & apparently we need to wear gloves.

That is a pain if IHM is not allowed as I’ve been booking them in. I thought it was face to face that wasn’t allowed
If I stood behind them with a visor on surely that’s safer than nails which is face to face which I am allowed to do?
Nightmare!
I came across this, IHM isn’t on there as not being allowed

7fa15a08f3bcdaf0aa2d3b55cd4952af.jpg

That is a pain if IHM is not allowed as I’ve been booking them in. I thought it was face to face that wasn’t allowed
If I stood behind them with a visor on surely that’s safer than nails which is face to face which I am allowed to do?
Nightmare!
I came across this, IHM isn’t on there as not being allowed
It doesn’t say anything about it being restricted, I just personally wouldn’t do it. If you’re happy to do it, go ahead.
I agree with you about the face to face thing though. To me sitting opposite someone doing nails is more riskier as you’re going to get the full force of a cough or sneeze coming at you head on as opposed to being at the top of the head doing face treatments but hey ho :rolleyes: lol

In case it helps anyone, I enquired with my insurers Salon Gold and have had the reply back that IHM is included in permitted treatments and they are happy to cover it.

Obviously we can choose whether we’re happy to or not, but I thought I’d just add this info to the thread x

Thank you for all the replies above. The government guidance is so ambiguous and association guidelines can really vary. I'm still undecided about the scalp massage (it will only be 2-3 minutes) but I have 2 weeks to decide before I re-open! Will be working through my waiting list this week. Part of me is really looking forward to seeing my clients again and I love my work (especially compared to home schooling!!!) I just hope I don't get too many complaints from clients expecting an appointment the first week when they are at the end of the waiting list as I am only planning to take 3 clients max per day and I won't be working every day as I have 2 young children. I would prefer to start slower and allow more time between clients. Good luck to everyone starting back :)

Latest posts

Back