Scam: Wedding bookings all expenses paid!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizziekira

Reaction score
Hello fellow geeks,

In the past month I received ample bookings from people who have found my website on Kyotee, an online business directory. Before I go any further, i must say that I have no problem with Kyotee as I know these people were not affiliated with them, and are merely using it as a resource.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

My first enquiry was regarding a lavish wedding in Scotland hwere they would fly me up there, pay for hotel, and they wanted to hie me as a personal make-up artist for the day, and do all the nails for the bridal party, etc. In total the trip would have cost £1000. Ithough they must have heard of me from word of mouth otherwise surely they would have got someone more local.

I just went on holiday for 2 weeks and found two more enquiries from my Kyotee ad, one for a wedding in wales, a mother in the states contactinh me for services around £1000 total , and another from a chap in the states whose daughter was getting married in manchester.

All fair and well, I submitted an itemised bill of services, and booked the hotel for one of them. They sent me an e-mail saying they would send me a cashier's cheque for £4500 from which I should take my money and send the remaining money onto their dressmaker, whom they owe £3500. They wanted me to send it via Western Union.

Immediately I heard alarm bells. You should never use Western union unless you are dealing with a trused source.

I gave my first client the benefit of the doubt and agrred to do this as she seemed very stressed with the wedding, so anything i could do to help. I have not yet received the cheque.

When my second client asked me to do something similar I though either because they are american they may do things differently to Uk, or they are up to something. I googled the keywords "wedding" and "western union" to research this. I came up with this website for photographers check it out: http://www.joewein.de/sw/fraud-wedding-photographer.htm

Looks like you receive the cheque, wait for it to clear your bank, send on the excess money, then the cheque ends up being fraudulent. Not really sure how this works, but i'm just glad I caught this in time. When i receive the cheques I am handing them straight over to the police. I have also contacted Kyotee to warn them of what is happening so hopefully they will send out an E-mail to all their advertisers.

If you do get an enquiry watch for these signs:

• The e-mailer introduces themself as a professional and gives you part of their life story,
  • Their english is very poor with broken sentences and mad continuity
  • They want you to receive a cashier's cheque or banker's draft.
  • They want you to send money via Western Union
  • All expenses and travel paid.
  • They give you a random address that seems to have no specific venue for the wedding, or certainly no the type of lavish wedding you would expect it to be.
PLEASE DO NOT IMMEDIATELY ASSUME THEY ARE FRAULDULENT!! gET ALL THE DETAILS, EVEN LET THEM SEND THE CHEQUE IF YOU WANT , BUT POINT BLANK REFUSE TO SEND MONEY THRU WESTERN UNION. IF THEY ARE FOR REAL THEN THEY WILL RESPECT THIS, AND SHOULD NOT ASK THIS OF YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

I hope I have explained this clearly. If you have any questions pm me or send me an e-mail and I will e-mail you copies of my e-mails to show you what to look for.

Disappointing as it was to find out this was not genuine business (it would have paid off my car!!) I am glad that I saw it coming and did not risk loosing thousand of pounds that I did not have.:cry:

Best regards,
Elaine:)

this has been happening on ebay for a while.. :)

I was contacted for the same sort of thing when I had a mobile phone for sale. Asking me to send on the rest of the money via western union and the phone if I recieved a larger than amount requested cheque.:eek:
I asked myself why would someone want to pay more for something than they had too. I was contacted through a Loot Ad. I advised them but dont know what happened.

"when something seems too good to be true, .. it usually is!"

they did the same to me on ebay i sold my phone then they tell some story about sending the product then they will send the cash!! cheeky or wot!!!
some people!

Hi
I have had EXACTLY the same e-mail. It was from someone called Sandra Janet. She said she was about to tie the knot with her heart throb. She wanted a make-up artist to travel to scotland, they will pay the flight and hotel fees. They will pay by certified chequ etc etc.
I just ignored it.I didnt respond cos it sounded well dodgy to me.

I have recieved another one from a Man who wants his daughters wedding makeup done. He also sounds well dodgy and had left a phone number as well!! I am obviously NOT going to ring the number. He said the wedding will be taking place in the UK.

It is so annoying isnt it. :mad: :green: :green:

xx

I have been getting similar scams via email at work, claiming that a young couple has died in a car crash, left money, if i help get it out of africa I get half, yadda yadda yadda. Oh and by the way send me your bank details and i'll send you the money!

Yeah, because i came down in the last shower!!!!! :smack:

Hi Elaine,

Yes, Sandra Janet was my first one, I did correspond with "her", left it two weeks when i was on holiday and went to e-mail her as I had not received the cheque and her e-mail address no longer exists at yahoo.

Is your next one called Gary Smith? That's the bloke who left a number for me. I was thinking of getting my husband to ring hime posing as my financial advisor, to discuss this. He works for a big telecom company, so I wondered if they coud trace it.

we'll see...

Did you advertise on Kyotee?

Coincidence be have the same name and the same scam!:confused:

Good thinking ignoring it, I guess i'm just gullible!

Elaine

Hiya,
I'd assume it was dodgy even if it WAS a legit booking...

Wouldn't it pretty much classed as money laundering if the person did forward you the money and honored their end of the bargain and turned out to be an undesirable?

Hi Elaine
Yes he was called GARY SMITH. He wanted to know how much experience I had. Whether I was available, and the cost.

He started his sentence off with 'Gooday to you'. I presumed he was Australian? , or pretending to be.

Yes I did advertise with Kyotee as well.

He is the one that left his fone number, but I am scared to ring it in case I get charged a colossol amount of money just for dialling the number!!! It could be a fone scam.

At least we didnt fall for it.

xx

Latest posts

Back