School holidays: how do you cope with childcare?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's only so many options, to be honest.
It is hard. Sometimes for me during the holidays its going to be just a case of breaking even rather then making a profit as I need to see my regular clients are looked after all year round- on these days the children go to nursery.

I think your only option appears to be payed childcare. You may not make a profit but your clients will not go elseware either.
I tend to save through the term times so I'm equipped to pay for a few extra sessions of childcare through the holidays, then its a case of working hard and condensing the clients into the days I have payed for.
I have no family or outside help either so I understand how difficult it is.
I do have a mother in law who in theory could, but she really would not want to so its not something I would inflict on my children anyway!

I am going to take your advice. I think I"ll put away £10 a week in a special account so that next summer hols I will have the money to cover some childcare. What a good idea!

By the way, hubby is livid with his mothers attitude and thinks she is being awkward because we've barred grandad.

I'd be better off on benefits. Isn't that ridiculous!! In Sweden childcare is Really cheap (or so one of my clients was telling me) I think it's subsidised by the Govt.

My mother in law has given me the grand total of 3 days over the 7 week holidays to have the kids!! Really annoying when I know they will be having my nephew at least 3 times a week!!
My mum helps out when she can, but she has muscular atrophy & I don't like to put in her, my 8yr old daughter goes more as I know she helps mum a lot.
I have a childminder who has been great & instead of 4 half days that my son usually goes she's going to have him 2 full days & I will work from home with my daughter there, not ideal but it's the only way it can work for me!!

My mother in law has given me the grand total of 3 days over the 7 week holidays to have the kids!! Really annoying when I know they will be having my nephew at least 3 times a week!!
My mum helps out when she can, but she has muscular atrophy & I don't like to put in her, my 8yr old daughter goes more as I know she helps mum a lot.
I have a childminder who has been great & instead of 4 half days that my son usually goes she's going to have him 2 full days & I will work from home with my daughter there, not ideal but it's the only way it can work for me!!

Mother in laws are the pits!! Anyway, I'm glad you've got it sorted. Sounds like youre a juggler like me then. :p

Omg I hope my mother in law isn't like this?! Ok I'm being selfish thinking of myself (with my imaginary kids) but really aren't grannies supposed to want to spend time with their grand kids?!?

Hope you sort it hon xxxx

Omg I hope my mother in law isn't like this?! Ok I'm being selfish thinking of myself (with my imaginary kids) but really aren't grannies supposed to want to spend time with their grand kids?!?

Hope you sort it hon xxxx

Most grannies do want to spend time with grandchildren yes , but that doesn't mean we should automatically assume they will and should 'babysit' when we want them too and then get annoyed if they are unable too if they have plans or simply don't want to .

Have you thought about getting a summer au pair?

Most grannies do want to spend time with grandchildren yes , but that doesn't mean we should automatically assume they will and should 'babysit' when we want them too and then get annoyed if they are unable too if they have plans or simply don't want to .

I hope that when my daughters have children and ask me to babysit for just 2 mornings out of 6 weeks that I will be a lovely granny and help my daughters out in their time of need.

What also annoys me is that she doesn't drive so I am often a taxi service for her. We also spoil her and take her out to lunch.

We took her on holiday to Tenerife years ago when we had only a 2 year old and asked her if she could just babysit ONE night so we could go out on our own. She wouldn't do it, said she was too tired!! We paid for her flight and her own room in the hotel. All she had to bring was spending money. The cheek!!

Oh god, here I go, getting all wound up again and it's not even 8am!!!

I feel I have reason to be annoyed! :mad:

Yes I agree you have good grounds for being annoyed BUT I will say...you'll never change people like this. Try to just let it go. It will only really add to your stress and raise your blood pressure probably. Just leave it as it is, she won't change so try not to expect too much of her. Sad, I know, but I've had to do that with certain family members as I found myself getting so wound up. Don't let it affect you too much hon xx be happy x

Its hard with kids and working.

I was a single mum for 6 years before i met my hubby and had to work to finish my nvq so i paid a childminder for 2 days and my mum had him on the third.I was on a training wage so every week i was left with just about enough to do a food shop/nappies/milk.

Really struggled and had days where i had 1 nappy and was skint for another day but i got through it.(god knows how!!)

Now i have 3 kids and a hubby.Im the full time worker due to him being made redundent,and he looks after the kids.
He does maintenence work evenings and weekends so we ultimately share childcare now although my in laws step in to fill a gap,we never expect them to do it which is why we share the care.

We now have 1 wage and a very small amount from his work coming in.We dont get holidays,or treats really,but it will get easier when youngest starts pre school as he can work more and then it will be easier.

Thats what we did when second one was little and what were doing with number 3.

Youve got to find a way to make it work and remember it wont be forever.

I just think i wont ever be as skint and on my ass as i was with my first so its not so bad and at least the kids have a parent around with them.
x

I hope that when my daughters have children and ask me to babysit for just 2 mornings out of 6 weeks that I will be a lovely granny and help my daughters out in their time of need.

What also annoys me is that she doesn't drive so I am often a taxi service for her. We also spoil her and take her out to lunch.

We took her on holiday to Tenerife years ago when we had only a 2 year old and asked her if she could just babysit ONE night so we could go out on our own. She wouldn't do it, said she was too tired!! We paid for her flight and her own room in the hotel. All she had to bring was spending money. The cheek!!

Stop getting annoyed . Children & childcare are hard I agree - I have three girls aged 6 , 5 & 2 . If granny doesn't want to help then so be it but she does have a right to say no regardless of how much you do for her and if you feel you are doing too much for her and she is taking advantage then stop doing so much for her .
Look at some of the other suggestions that have been made also there are agencies alot like nanny agencies that you can go to for 'babysitting' in your home at short notice. Life is too short to spend it annoyed there is always a way around everything and I didnt mean to offend in what I said - it's just how I feel x

Stop getting annoyed . Children & childcare are hard I agree - I have three girls aged 6 , 5 & 2 . If granny doesn't want to help then so be it but she does have a right to say no regardless of how much you do for her and if you feel you are doing too much for her and she is taking advantage then stop doing so much for her .
Look at some of the other suggestions that have been made also there are agencies alot like nanny agencies that you can go to for 'babysitting' in your home at short notice. Life is too short to spend it annoyed there is always a way around everything and I didnt mean to offend in what I said - it's just how I feel x

Yes the free lunches and free taxi service have now well and truly closed down!

I do feel for you. Have you thought about asking your clients if you can bring your girls with you as a last resort? Maybe some if your clients have children and yours could play with them anyway and the clients may actually be pleased of the girls helping to keep their own kids occupied! (especially the 10year old)

You've said they're well behaved and they could sit in another room with the tv on plus bring some colouring books or something to keep them amused. Or play in the garden if a nice day. I would ask and see what your clients say. I know I wouldn't mind if they were well behaved

I do feel for you I really do , I don't have alot of family that will/can help with childcare for my three monkeys . My mum works full time in a secure unit for young people and works crazy hours and my MIL works full time too . Local responsible teenagers who you know and like and trust are good for babysitting - they are often very grateful for some extra pennies at this time of year and if its evening babysitting throw in having a pizza delivered too :0 x

What if sometimes you send the girls round to their friends houses for the day? Might work if you arrange bookings in this time x

Yay I found someone!!!

My neighbour over the road's son's friend's sister. Yes, I really have asked everyone!!

She is home from uni for the summer and needs cash.

Thank you all very much for your help and advice. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm so pleased for you xx

Latest posts

Back