School link programme 14-16year olds.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraG

Reaction score
i am currently researching the schools link programme and wanted any feedback from students, teachers, salon managers or anybody who is involved in it.
i am putting together a report for my college degree. any feedback back would be great.

many thanks Laura

Hi Laura, what kind of feedback are you after? ie is it worthwhile for the learner, what do they get out of it or something else? if you let me know i'll see if i can help (i have taught these programmes):hug:
April.

hi, i am currently doing a 14-16 programme in hair and beauty, and i think it is so worthwile and it has been great. it really gives you an exact idea what hairdressing involves, and i have learnt so much. its great what we get to learn and i think its great to do before going to college full time.

if you want to know anything elese jus let me know
x

My stepdaughter did this while she was at school. It helped her to decide that beauty was definitely NOT what she wanted to do - doing it for a job on paying clients is not as much fun as doing it on yourself or your mates! :lol: It saved her wasting her time starting a full-time college course and then changing her mind two months into it.

The other thing she found was that it did distract her a bit from studying for her GCSEs, so she didn't do quite as well in them as she probably could have. But that's something that would probably depend on the individual student and how committed they were.

hi i teach one of these courses. pm me with what you would like to know hun

thanks for all your replys guys:)

Hi, I was a student for this programme, It was a great way to help me attcheive some sort of qualification without the school as i wasn't predicted very high. I got there in the end though. There was Two hair groups and we all were quite good friends. The school paid alot to get us there and all we had to do was make our own way there and back. As it was only NVQ1 our kits were provided this happened for two years. Of course we had practical and theory . Great fun !

I have just taken on a girl who did her level 2 this way. She is in a bit of a pickle because although she is a "qualified" hairdresser, she cannot do hair. She is well aware that she cannot mix tint, apply colour, do foils, cut to any kind of standard, blow dry other than straight and flat or even shampoo hair to salon standard. She feels cheated by the college that were paid to "pass her", and asked us to retrain her. We now have to see if we can put her through level 2 again at a more scrupulous college. Hopefully we will be able to help.
Trainees are only as good as the person training them. While this might be a convenient way of keeping SOME 14 year olds occupied, for some it seems they are being a bit shortchanged on the rigour of training which is higher when the colleges work alongside the industry rather than alongside a school.

The other issue at play is when they are qualified hairdressers, they have to be paid minimum wage as opposed to training allowance. I don't know any salon that will pay a 16 year old hairdresser full stylist pay, when chances are you can get someone with a bit more experience for the same money. Harsh but true.

thanks all for you views guys this is gonna help loads. would any of you mind if i use your comments in my report. i will not use any names.

hi laura g, im sorry i havnt replied to your pm but my computer aint letting me, i will be happy to answer any questions you may have, if you prefer you can send it through my email instead as i can definatly reply through there lol, its [email protected]
x

thanks for all your great help, anyone else got any views on the link programme??

i did this too, i did hair and beauty, and i only got a diploma in hairdressing where as in beauty i got my nvq 1. i found that we didnt do much as in the beauty we only did manicures and facials and alot of my friends who are doing beauty at my new college are doing eyelash tints and eye brow plucking etc. so im thinking about retaking my nvq level 1 again as i would like to learn all of it so that i can be a mobile hairdresser and beautician, and again in the hairdressing i only learnt how to wash and blowdry hair straight, straighten hair, and put rolllers in, so i didnt think it was very benficial as when i started at my new college, they did everything differently and to a lot higher standards. but i think it was more to do with the college i went to, i mean the girls who did the 14 - 16 at my college really enjoyed it and learnt alot and also got their nvq level 1 in hairdressing. x

thanks again for your reply guys xxx

Latest posts

Back