Sculpting gel is self leveling because of heat. Any suggestions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So.. I use Young Nails synergy gels and my sculpting gels are self leveling because they are getting warm. It's bothering me because when I sculpt a free edge I hate how it begins to run. Can I store my gels in the fridge? I think I remember seeing that in a thread.

Any other tips? I choose sculpting gels because I really dislike self leveling gels so I'm not very happy right now.

I wish I had your problem Shannon. Still freezing over here.

Anyway I would keep them in chilled cabinet which should do them no harm.

They are stored in cold warehouses anyway so once the temperature doesn't go to extremes they should be fine.

I wish I had your problem Shannon. Still freezing over here.

Anyway I would keep them in chilled cabinet which should do them no harm.

They are stored in cold warehouses anyway so once the temperature doesn't go to extremes they should be fine.

Problem is I left my bag in the car one afternoon at my moms house. We're here on vacation and it is very warm here. I didn't expect my clear sculptor to level like that.

I know you use YN as well-have you ever had that problem with it levelling so much that its running into the eponychium and running down the form while building the free edge? It's really annoying me. I like my gel to stay put.

I believe you can store then in the fridge and you can also put them on a somsething cold (a jade stone or an eye cooling pad etc..) while working with them to help keep them cool.

Problem is I left my bag in the car one afternoon at my moms house. We're here on vacation and it is very warm here. I didn't expect my clear sculptor to level like that.

I know you use YN as well-have you ever had that problem with it levelling so much that its running into the eponychium and running down the form while building the free edge? It's really annoying me. I like my gel to stay put.

There's a few ways of using synergy gels, what do you do?
I lay down a thin layer of base and continue it out onto the form to shape and cure. Remove the form, refine the shape . Then lay builder down the spine of the nail and draw it from the centre to the sides , one side at a time .

If I was doing this in hot weather I imagine I would still lay down the spine which would then start to melt out to the sides so freezer it for 10 seconds before it runs too much but have the lamp already running so the lights will freeze it in place straight away

Coming out of a hot car probably best to pop it in a fridge for a few minutes though to harden up .

I don't use YN Synergy gels, but my sister left her OPI Axxium gels in her hot car and had to replace them. They kept running all over the place as well. I told her to refrigerate them for a short time but it still didn't work. She also didn't want to take the chance of it compromising the final nail look. She was afraid they would break to easily if she used them on clients.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

There's a few ways of using synergy gels, what do you do?
I lay down a thin layer of base and continue it out onto the form to shape and cure. Remove the form, refine the shape . Then lay builder down the spine of the nail and draw it from the centre to the sides , one side at a time .

If I was doing this in hot weather I imagine I would still lay down the spine which would then start to melt out to the sides so freezer it for 10 seconds before it runs too much but have the lamp already running so the lights will freeze it in place straight away

Coming out of a hot car probably best to pop it in a fridge for a few minutes though to harden up .

I do exactly what Greg Salo does. Lol. I do base then build free edge with clear sculptor, then if doing French-I do reverse body and float the gel from eponychium to free edge, swipe in smile.

If just clear enhancements, I do the same prodedure but just use building gel. I haven't had any problems with it actually running into the sidewalks or eponychium, I just don't like the fact that I had to rush while using the clear sculptor. Clear sculptor is meant to stay put.

I won't ever be leaving in the car again and it seems to have thickened up again now that its home and put away so I think I can stop fretting over it.

Don't you ever find that doing the sculpted free edge runs everywhere when you use base?

I do exactly what Greg Salo does. Lol. I do base then build free edge with clear sculptor, then if doing French-I do reverse body and float the gel from eponychium to free edge, swipe in smile.

If just clear enhancements, I do the same prodedure but just use building gel. I haven't had any problems with it actually running into the sidewalks or eponychium, I just don't like the fact that I had to rush while using the clear sculptor. Clear sculptor is meant to stay put.

I won't ever be leaving in the car again and it seems to have thickened up again now that its home and put away so I think I can stop fretting over it.

Don't you ever find that doing the sculpted free edge runs everywhere when you use base?

I sculpt and 20 second freeze each nail so don't have a problem with running. I have 2 lamps on the go so it's fine.
I use base to sculpt the extension edge because I find that works best for me in terms of keeping it thin.
Greg used to do it that way but changed when they brought out the sculptor gels.

I hope you don't think I was querying your application , I wasn't at all I was just wondering what your application was , which I know was off topic but my mind wanders. :D

[/B]

I sculpt and 20 second freeze each nail so don't have a problem with running. I have 2 lamps on the go so it's fine.
I use base to sculpt the extension edge because I find that works best for me in terms of keeping it thin.
Greg used to do it that way but changed when they brought out the sculptor gels.

I hope you don't think I was querying your application , I wasn't at all I was just wondering what your application was , which I know was off topic but my mind wanders. :D

No I didn't think anything if it! I tried using Base to build the free edge yesterday and I really liked it! Kept it super thin which I love! Obviously had to work a bit differently as it levels way more but they turned out nice.

I just hate sculpting gel that levels, that's all. Lol. Hopefully it doesn't heat up that much again.

Regarding my application- I like floating the gel from eponychium to free edge because it creates the perfect apex with very little work. That's why I follow Greg's method to be honest. I need to get a second lamp too I think!

Latest posts

Back