Self assessment help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heq

Reaction score
Hi all

I started business at the beginning of December 2013. I have set up with the HMRC and got my government gateway code etc.
My question is, when will I need to submit my self assessment? Will I get a letter automatically telling me to do this?
Also, does the self assessment also cover NI as I've only signed up for self assessment services on the HMRC website.
Thank you. Sorry, I am just so confused with it all!
I am a mobile beautician and won't be earning above the threshold for tax so I know I don't need to submit a tax return.

Thanks

I did my self assessment as soon as i started self employed. Also you do your national insurance separate. I had to ring a number off direct gov then filled a form in. Hope this helps.

You will have to file a self assessment return after 5/4/14. This will be for the period from 6/4/13 to 5/4/14. The deadline for the paper return is 31/10/14 or online deadline 31/1/15. If you have registered as self employed you should automatically be registered for class 2 National insurance contributions
Good luck
K x

Thank you for your help xx

If you anticipate earning under the threshold you can apply for a small earnings exemption certificate, you can do this online- if you dont apply you will be liable to pay nat ins contributions (however if this is your only job i would recommend paying them).
You will still have to fill in a tax return (self assessment) even if you earnt a tiny amount, you will just get told that no tax is due x

You will have to file a self assessment return after 5/4/14. This will be for the period from 6/4/13 to 5/4/14. The deadline for the paper return is 31/10/14 or online deadline 31/1/15. If you have registered as self employed you should automatically be registered for class 2 National insurance contributions
Good luck
K x

I had to ring about my insurance. As it was set up with my self assessment :/. It was very confusing haha! But there is a number for national insurance if unsure on direct gov if in uk.

Latest posts

Back