Self employed and last minute cancellations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say 3 consecutive strikes and you have to pay a 10% deposit to book.

For new colours I go out and do skin test and take a £5 non refundable deposit. Even that much will mean they will think twice belfry cancelling. I think £25 is a lot but can totally understand at the same time. X

I've had a few last minute cancelations too but don't want to start charging a cancelation fee as there is no guaranteed way you will get it from the client anyway (in my head and thinking anyway) I was thinking of taking a non refundable £5 deposit (only refundable if you have a reaction to patch test because therefore they wouldn't be able to have a treatment done anyway) when booking an appointment. With eyelash extensions I can do this by cash for new clients when I do the patch test. But for any other appointments how would I go about taking a deposit? I don't have a card machine and I am mobile. Would I ask them to transfer it to my bank? Or maybe PayPal?

They would probably feel safer using PayPal than a bank transfer.

Yes I would too tbh, I don't fancy giving out my details to anyone lol

I go and get it during consultation as I'm mobile. But I have card machine or they can pay cash

Hi there, I have been reading through the posts and I'm not sure whether at the moment any of you are using any salon software at all? If not, maybe this is something to perhaps look in to. I currently work for a company called Salon Tracker and we have an SMS reminder system in place, which means that a text is sent to clients 24 hrs prior to their appointment at your salon, so as to remind them that they have a booking with you. This prompts the client to then either get in touch then with you if they can no longer make the appointment, or just reminds the client of their booking should they have forgotten, which will hopefully decrease those no shows! Just something to have a think about, hope this helps! Nicki@salontracker

Last edited by a moderator:
I text all clients on a Monday for the week ahead confirming appointment date and time. That way if they can't make the appointment they let me know on the Monday and I can possibly fill the slot x

This is so annoying.. I'm self employed and sometimes get a few last minute cancellations in a week.. They all want to rebook usually for the week after which is good I guess but it really messes up your diary and obviously leaves you with less income that week. I thought about having a cancellation fee but of course, like said above they are never going to pay it! I have a blacklist now for clients who cancel last minute 3 times and then I just won't book them in again. Can't be doing with time wasters!

I feel totally in the same boat last week i turned up at my ladys house and she said she didnt think it need doing yet at rebooked in a couple of weeks and yesterday i had a new client and she wasnt in this is cery annoying when i had a busy few weeks and could of fit other people in

Using PayPal they can cancel last minute and claim their money back that why I fo bank transfer that way your booking fee is secure.

Latest posts

Back