Self employed arrangement in nail salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauram87

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Looking for some advice from you guys with more salon experience.
I’ve been working in a small nail salon for almost 6 months (my first ever salon job, so have basically no idea of how the industry works still) on a commission basis 40:60. Owner provides everything. She’s given me a hideous uniform to wear, which I do because it’s her salon so fine. She manages the diary although I have built up a good client base since being there and she’s passed on some of her clients to me also.
I work 3 days a week as I was looking for better life balance for my family. However the days I do work I’m working 10 hours + sometimes til 9.30 at night as she wants the salon open 9-9 7 days a week. She’s asked me to do more days but I’ve refused. When some of the clients have asked why I don’t work certain days she’s told them “she has childcare issues”. This really annoyed me!

She takes all payments and pays me each week my 40% but when I break this down to the hours I work I’m not even making minimum wage! But I’m told I need to learn to work faster to take more clients each day and my contract states “there may be gaps between assignments” so essentially you’re self employed it’s not my problem if you don’t work every hour of your ten hour day!

I’ve got so much faster recently and I’m managing salon speed finally but most days I don’t get a decent break, so don’t eat don’t even get to have a drink. I left crying last night after a particularly gruelling 10 hour day feeling something just isn’t right. I looked after her salon while she went away for two weeks and she barely even said thank you when she came back because shed went into another of her moody periods. I don’t think any of our clients would suspect I’m self employed with the way she speaks to me, she’s very much my boss and she’s in charge. Of prices, timings, products, how I do everything!

I suspect she’s treating me as an employee but having me self employed to get round ni contributions etc.

What should I do? I like her products and have been enjoying the job. She’s spent time training me really well and I’m grateful for that when I was fresh out of my course but recently I feel a bit down about the whole thing. I shouldn’t have to work this hard for £70 a day. I should be on a proper payroll right?
thanks for helping me x

You are right to be concerned.

She is breaking the law treating you as employed but just calling you self employed.

Legally you should manage your own diary and client information due to GDPR. You should also take your own payments and just pay her the percentage agreed. It’s normal for you to get the 60% not the other way around. Also you pick you own uniform and working hours and prices if you so wish.

She is literally just a landlord and has no say in your business.

I’d advice finding a proper setup ASAP and take YOUR clients with you.

Woah, I suspect that HMRC will rule that a sham employment arrangement.
If they investigate and decide your employer isn’t sticking to the rifles, they can fine her AND require her to pay you the difference that you would have earnt if properly employed on minimum wage for however long you’ve worked there for.

Report her to HMRC and find a new employer or set up somewhere else and be properly self employed.

Read the guidelines for more information.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Latest posts

Back