Self employed charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunflower46

Reaction score
Hi , I'm a self employed hairdresser & the salon where I work has just been taken over . The new owner is charging a percentage of what we take , but also charging a daily rate for any time off or holiday taken . Can he do this , or should he only be charging one or the other ? ( percentage or daily rate ). Have always only paid percentage before & not been charged holidays or time off . Interested to hear any thoughts , thanks

His salon, his rules. The joy of being self employed is that you can move around if you chose not to accept the terms.

Yes, an owner can choose to offer a percentage split/daily rent/or a mix of the two.
However, in this case I think he’s blurring the lines of employment/self employment as the charges only apply when you’re taking time off.
With self employment, you can choose to come and go as you please, inc. taking holidays when it suits you.

Maybe it’s time to get together with the other renters and negotiate with him jointly? You’ll probably get a better deal that way.

Yes, an owner can choose to offer a percentage split/daily rent/or a mix of the two.
However, in this case I think he’s blurring the lines of employment/self employment as the charges only apply when you’re taking time off.
With self employment, you can choose to come and go as you please, inc. taking holidays when it suits you.

Maybe it’s time to get together with the other renters and negotiate with him jointly? You’ll probably get a better deal that way.
Thanks for your help . Yes , I think we need to all get together & see what we can do .

He should charge either percentage or rent.

Latest posts

Back