Self employed-claiming expenses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi
I was having a chat with someone who is also self employed (not in beauty profession) and we were talking about what can be claimed on tax returns.

She said I could claim for my fuel for when I travel to work. I was not aware of this as I didn’t know how I would work out using my fuel for just work and not for my own use.

Anyway I looked on hmrc last night and it then states this-you can claim for fuel, but then further down-you can’t claim for travel to work. (Pic attached)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1512846755.054260.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?
I am not mobile, I simply drive to work so thinking I probably can’t actually claim this as an expense.

MY understanding was you cant claim for the journey to & from your single, permanent place of work, but you can claim for trips to the bank, wholesellers etc.

So thats why fuel is eligable but trips towork are not xx

Ah ok thankyou

And you can claim for fuel if you’re Mobile x

It’s one or the other . It’s 45p per mile
Eg if you travel 100 miles when working that’s £45 you can put down as mileage expense

Is it fuel or mileage?

How do you seperate fuel and mileage
Saying fuel I mean mileage. Fuel is what you’re paying for and mileage is what you’re claiming.

If you claim at the guide price on the government website, you can’t also claim for depreciation on your car, mot, servicing and so on x

I found it more straight forward to claim for mileage , as you have to calculate a percentage of the fuel , depreciation of your vehicle and wear and tear on it against personal use

I’m mobile, I make a note of the miles I do each week & submit that when I give my books to my accountant. Regardless of what miles you do, you can only claim a % anyway!

You claim for 100% of the miles . As long as it’s between customers . If I do say 50 miles per week when working that’s £22.50 ,

Latest posts

Back