Self employed dealing with complaints

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_eve

Senior Stylist
Reaction score
Hi geeks. I am just looking for some advice as to how dealing with complaints is done if you're self employed in a salon.
I feel as if any complaints about my work need to be forwarded onto me and for me to do any corrections or adjustments or determine whether to give a refund etc...

The owner of the salon on the few occasions has taken it upon herself to deal with my clients herself and then send me a text to say what has happened and what she has offered/adjusted with the client - now I understand that it's her salon and she wants to make sure all the clients are happy but as a self employed person surely it's my responsibility to deal with these accordingly.

For example:
A client of mine for 2years came in Friday and said she wanted something different from her asymmetric pixie cut, so I suggested evening it up and giving her a regular pixie cut short and choppy. She left and booked her next appointment 5 weeks times as always. Saturday was my day off and I've just been told that my lady came back in in tears saying it was too short (and yes I can understand that losing that longer side was the problem and she didn't like it) but the owner decided to chip into it to pacify the client and has said that the client won't come back to me until it's grown back and will stay with my colleague until then....

What do I make of this? Surely she should have referred my client back to me before "chipping in" just to pacify the client?!?

Am I wrong to feel this way??

I'd be furious! How dare she. She should have your back. She should of said "oh I am sorry she's not here today but I'll call her and let her know your upset. I'm sure she will contact you straight away to rectify any problems."
Sounds to me like she is trying to nab your clients.

That's how I feel. This is my client, my work, my cut and she's gone in there and "tweaked" it for no reason whatsoever. And her trying to "pacify" the client by "chipping in" undermines my work. There was nothing technically wrong with the cut and I believe that the client simply didn't like losing that "safety length" this same client has had it clippered to a number 2 before and now my colleague going in with it has now made me look like it was my work that was the problem... and now after 2 years of every 5 weeks this client suddenly doesn't trust me anymore....

That's how I feel. This is my client, my work, my cut and she's gone in there and "tweaked" it for no reason whatsoever. And her trying to "pacify" the client by "chipping in" undermines my work. There was nothing technically wrong with the cut and I believe that the client simply didn't like losing that "safety length" this same client has had it clippered to a number 2 before and now my colleague going in with it has now made me look like it was my work that was the problem... and now after 2 years of every 5 weeks this client suddenly doesn't trust me anymore....
I would call your client and say you heard she was unhappy and you wish she had waited for you and if there's anything else you can do to let her know. I think it's terrible she didn't refer the client back to you but maybe client was in a state and she felt it was the best thing to do at the time.

I would call your client and say you heard she was unhappy and you wish she had waited for you and if there's anything else you can do to let her know. I think it's terrible she didn't refer the client back to you but maybe client was in a state and she felt it was the best thing to do at the time.

Yes I absolutely will call the client tomorrow and try and regain some trust back. Thank you, it's a relief to know that I'm not overreacting here. I do believe that she thought she was doing the best thing for the client. I don't feel as if she's trying to nab the client as she doesn't particularly want to be on the shop floor anymore... I don't know.

But thank you geeks x

Last edited:
Hmm tricky one, I had a client complain about my renters cut and actually diddnt want to go back to her, I then sorted out the cut (basically chipping) and she's stayed with me since then. was the context of the problem like the owner was being mean or was it a case of the client being dramatic? Do you know if the owner offered for you to fix it?

Hmm tricky one, I had a client complain about my renters cut and actually diddnt want to go back to her, I then sorted out the cut (basically chipping) and she's stayed with me since then. was the context of the problem like the owner was being mean or was it a case of the client being dramatic? Do you know if the owner offered for you to fix it?

I spoke to the owner today and it's definitely not a case of her being mean as she's not that kind of person. I believe that the client was in such a state (over dramatic) that she felt she needed to do something. The client pulled out all sorts of things wrong
I.e longer on one side too heavy on top... the owner did verify to me that this was not the case and that the unevenness was caused by the clients own colour job. I'm still not used to clients suddenly turning on you after 2 years of 5 weekly services for £14 service (dry cut) each time...

Oh and she did suggest waiting for me but the client just walked in and wanted it seen to there and then.... I can't help but think that it was simply a case of the client not liking her knew discussed and agreed to style.

I'm still not used to clients suddenly turning on you after 2 years of 5 weekly services for £14 service (dry cut) each time...

Wow, that's incredibly cheap, unless you're living in the most inexpensive area in Britain, especially as you'd given her a restyle!

Sometimes, people just assume that prices reflect quality and so will happily pay a premium price to get the reassurance of a better product or service, and conversely, clients might associate a cheaper price as denoting the most basic level of service.

Think about the supermarket pricing structure with 3 ranges -
Value,
Own brand premium,
High end/designer

Supposing you're the consumer, would you assume that the value brand is less good in terms of taste and quality of ingredients? Would you automatically assume that the expensive version is better?

If she thinks your prices indicate that you're only capable of doing a basic level of cutting, I think she's also more inclined to find fault with it, regardless of the reality. It's not a genuine reflection on your ability necessarily but just human nature.

If the salon owner has a higher pricing structure, the client might just assume that she is the better hairdresser.

Perhaps consider increasing your prices in the Spring?

Well, I'm in that situation where the salon owner sets the prices. I hate with a passion dry cuts and I also agree that cheaper prices attract the cheaper clients who always always find fault with anything.
I don't think dry cuts should even be on the menu... least of all at £14. And the reason for the low low prices is to undercut our competitors... it's a very wealthy country village. Xx

You're self employed so take back control and start by giving her a new printed price list to display, that excludes dry cuts. She can keep the moany client.

It's your business so you're in charge. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. :cool:

You're self employed so take back control and start by giving her a new printed price list to display, that excludes dry cuts. She can keep the moany client.

It's your business so you're in charge. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. :cool:

Thank you @AcidPerm I'm working on it. X

Latest posts

Back