self-employed/employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle-d

Reaction score
I HAVE A NEW SALON OPENING IN TWO WEEKS AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING FOR STAFF. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT PAY? I WILL BE PROVIDING TOP CLASS FURNITURE, ALL PRODUCTS (CREATIVE), ALL ADVERTISING (FLYERS, PRICE LISTS, ADVERTS ETC), CLIENT CONSULTATION CARDS AND PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING ELSE. DO YOU THINK EMPLOYING STAFF IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ? OR IF SELF-EMPLOYED TECHS WHAT SORT OF PERCENTAGE DO YOU THINK WOULD FAIR? :confused:

Hi Michelle

Im just looking for a shop at the moment but the salon i did work in i was paying 25% on nails but all nail art and product sales were mine. i have spoken to my accountant and he say's that its best to have self employed on a percentage if poss.

Hope all goes well...!! :D

vicky x

Hi there...I'm soon (hopefully), opening my own salon too but I'm working on self-employed basis at a salon at the moment - think it's a great idea - and I'm going to be doing the same.

There's no stress on your part, I mean at the moment I use my own products, any of the boss's products I use I pay a percentage of the cost, any sales/nails art - she still gets a whopping 40% of my earnings - which is pretty crap. I'm going to do the same - as in get self-employed staff working with me who are responsible for their own NI and Tax paymentys and get their own products - I wouls NOT ask them for 40% on top of that however as I htink that's a bit unfair. 25 - 30% is a bit more realistic - I'd def go down that route - you can always advertise for someone who is Creative trained....good luck....HTH

There is a nail shop near me that take 60% of everything....! now i think the is taking the P***. 30% is the going rate here, i was lucky i guess.

Totally agree with no stress and advertise for creative trained youl be laughing..!

Tisha said:
Hi there...I'm soon (hopefully), opening my own salon too but I'm working on self-employed basis at a salon at the moment - think it's a great idea - and I'm going to be doing the same.

There's no stress on your part, I mean at the moment I use my own products, any of the boss's products I use I pay a percentage of the cost, any sales/nails art - she still gets a whopping 40% of my earnings - which is pretty crap. I'm going to do the same - as in get self-employed staff working with me who are responsible for their own NI and Tax paymentys and get their own products - I wouls NOT ask them for 40% on top of that however as I htink that's a bit unfair. 25 - 30% is a bit more realistic - I'd def go down that route - you can always advertise for someone who is Creative trained....good luck....HTH

what i am worried about is if self-employed will they then pop in and out all the time according to what clients are booked ? am i in a position to expect them to work set hours if they are self-employed

if they want to make ago of their own business then i would say they would be there the hours they stated at the time of employment. If they dont work they dont earn..! I think thats something you will have to state when you first meet them. If something came up when i was in the salon i would always ask if the shop owner minded if i left earlie or if i was ill i would rebook my own clients.

Hope i helped

Latest posts

Back