Self employed introductory offers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mootiful

Reaction score
I currently work as employed in the salon I'm going to go self employed in, starting from June. I'm not sure what discount to offer to start with.

I'm getting trained in skinbase microdermabrasion at the end of may so I want to do an offer with that, my boss thinks I could offer the treatment during my two week free trial at £10! I'm wanting to charge at least £30 for the treatment and offer a deluxe one with mask for about £40.
I originally thought of offering a discount then thought maybe do a free upgrade to the deluxe one, so it might make clients keep getting that one after the offer, my gut feeling is not to make it too cheap. My boss has been doing loads of groupon offers so she's in the cheap mindset.

I'm doing a lash lift course next month so I thought of doing a promo with that too, I want to do a package that includes an brow wax and tint, I'm thinking of charge £40 for the lash lift with the lash tint then I'm thinking of a package with the brows for £49, just not sure what price to do for an offer.

Anyone got any advice with loyalty cards/recommend a friend and with what type of discount?

I think it depends what kind of clientele your marketing your business at? The risk is that if you do very cheap offers, you may only get people in who are after a bargain and will move on once you increase your prices. Plus going from £10 to £30 per treatment is quite a big jump for people ....especially if they require X number of sessions in order to see a difference.

Personally I would never have microdermabrasion done somewhere offering it for £10 as I'd be wondering what's wrong with it! But maybe that's just me? I'd be inclined to offer say 25% off original price for limited time only - which would still be £22.50 for you and still a good offer for clients.

When I first went self employed I only offered 10% off treatments for the first month and this suited everyone fine (although my prices are already quite reasonable for the area). I did make the mistake of offering 50% off after 5 visits as a way of getting the customers to keep coming back. Now I have more confidence in myself and lots of regular clients who would come back even if I never had the scheme so I very much regret having such a high discount. I'm actually going to try phasing the cards out this year. I think 25% is what most places offer and is still a good deal. x

I'd be more worried about working in a salon that has a reputation for doing cheap offers.

I'd go with your gut instinct - this woman is no longer your boss and I'd be really cautious about listening to the advice or opinions of someone that runs their salon on Groupon offers.

I think an upgrade on treatments or an added extra, is always better than money off. If you're going with money off then you probably shouldn't discount by more than 10%.

But really, if she's always doing Groupon offers and that's the type of clientele that salon attracts you might want to have a look at setting up or relocating elsewhere.

I'm self employed and my advice would be to go with your gut instinct and set your own worth - don't sell yourself short by offering too low prices -clients will get used to that and will want it like that always. Set your standard, be confident and go with it. If you're good at what you do then clients will return. I do a loyalty card scheme, where, once the client has had 10 treatments they can choose a complimentary treatment for free (express facial, indian head massage, back massage... ones that aren't too costly) - what I find is that when clients come for their free treatment they often end up doubling it with another treatment of something they're paying for, so I don't actually lose out anyway. Good luck

Half price for FIRST treatment only.

I am doing lashes and will introduce other treatments soon.

That will help a lot to introduce your business and then they will value your work to pay full price.

That is what I am doing and it's working.

I printed off flyers and that was it with Business cards and collecting email address
Hello Print do AMAZING offers for marketing/printed materials.

Then you can ask them to sign up for offers using Mail Chimp software.

Good luck. X

Latest posts

Back