Self employed or hourly rate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tia123456

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently looking for a job as a beauty therapist.. I was on £11 an hour in my previous job and I know some salons will not pay that much. Is it worth mentioning being self employed in somebody else’s salon if they cannot pay me the £11 an hour I am after??

If so what are the pros and cons for being self employed in someone else’s salon??

I love being self employed but there are a few pro's and cons

Self employed pros...
you are your own boss,
ultimately you say when you work and what you do etc(though this may be more difficult in a salon since customers will come to the salon as a whole so it depends on set up and wishes of salon owner etc but you can always discuss the terms before hand so you both know what is expected of each other.
You will

Cons are you don't get holiday pay, sick pay or even wages if it is quiet,
You will need your own personal insurance etc since the salon owner will probably be considered your landlord
You won't have anything put by towards your pension so you will have to do this yourself.
You need to pay for all your own products etc unless this in included in your chair/room rental
you will need to do your own books or pay for an accountant and even with an accountant you still need to keep regular books and are still responsible for them being correct even if you didn't balance them etc.(crazy i know! hmrc are wonderful lol)
You will need to pay your NI contributions and arrange for this...

Self employment is great for some and not so for others. Its all about what you are happy with:) I personally love it and run two businesses however I find i often work more hours than i otherwise would since i have to do so much behind the scenes...you never stop working when self employed, not really as you are always thinking one step ahead.

I guess it also depends on what you can find as a job offer...if it is good money even if it is a bit less than what you were hoping but comes with added benefits then it may work out better financially anyway.

I hope you figure out what is best for you and get sorted:)

Latest posts

Back