Self employed paying % advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla88*123

Beautybee
Reaction score
Hi just looking to see what beauty therapists generally pay when self employed out of a salon on a % basis.
I have been offered a beauty room nicely done small but fully equipped, nice area.
It’s for 2 & a half days a week I would just pay my percentage which would cover me using the till/ card machine/ all products & machines & include rent.
I would take my own bookings on my own phone obviously pay my accountant & wash my own towels & buy my own uniform.
I have a busy column in this area so I no I’ll be ok bookings wise.
The % I have been offered is 60/40 so 60% to them I take home 40%.
Any Opinions or advice would be really appreciated. X

That sounds good to me if they are paying for products but working out the costs and you will probably find it’s more affordable for an arrangement where’s you just rent the room out.

Though from experience it’s a lot easier to have the things you need there readily available.

Consider your card charges as that will affect your expenses/whether they charge you on your income or what you actually earn after the card charges.

Personally I'd prefer a flat rate rent.

Also, I wouldn't use their till/card machine. It would be messy. Especially if audited via HMRC. You need to take your own money and do your own transaction recording etc. It's easy enough to get a cheap card machine :)

It’s quite a usual industry norm % split. However, for every £100 you earn, you’re giving £60 away to the salon plus you’ll have your own costs, and pay tax on the rest.
As been said above, could you get a flat rate rent that you could be better off?
On the down side, you pay a flat fee whether you’re busy or quiet. And also when you’re on holiday.
One thing to check is whether the salon will be charging VAT on the 60%. So rather than paying them £60 for every £100 you make, you’re actually paying £72.

Latest posts

Back