Self employed percentages for beautician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbailey

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to go self employed in a local salon. I'm going tomorrow to have a look around the salon and discuss percentages with the owner.
I'm currently employed elsewhere and I have never been self employed before.
The owner has advised she will supply all products etc..
What is the average percentage in which an owner would take? Also what other questions I should be asking?
I'm currently on minimum wage, and dont have a full clientele base yet as only been there a few months but really unhappy at the salon. Would you advise this is a good move to make? I dont mind not having a decent "wage" until I build my clientele.

Hi
I would ask to see the contract or at least discuss what terms will be in it.
Also ask if they are VAT registered and if so, then calculate what your net split really is after they charge you the vat.
Get a feel if you can work with the owner. Chat to any of the other staff or renters and see how happy they are there.

This could be a great opportunity for you to establish yourself and build a nice profitable business.
Do make sure that you are properly self employed (see check list in link below) and not being treated as self employed just for the salon owner to dodge paying tax, NI, etc.

Average percentage split is usually 60% to the person supplying the products and 40% to you but it could be 50/50, but don’t agree to receiving less than 40%.

If you haven’t already got a large client base, you’ll need to put in a big effort to market your services. Don’t rely on the salon advertising for you.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/
https://www.salongeek.com/threads/more-ways-to-promote-your-business.83160/

Latest posts

Back