Self employed rights on pay and hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taraki

Reaction score
I have recently been employed in a nail and beauty salon on a self employed basis, 50/50 of the takings using their products, however although I am a hard worker, this is a new salon and the few weeks leading up to Christmas before the rush we were expected/made to sit there waiting for work which is fine but they were 10 hour days sometimes with only a couple of clients and no proper breaks, and I had no choice, I was not free to make my own hours, I didn't just sit there, I made myself useful and cleaned, pottered around etc, yet my wages for these 2 weeks were less than the minimum wage approx £4.50 per hour, up to Xmas we got really busy and I did make more money, but I had to work a 6 day week 60 hours almost and no breaks, I didn't want to I said I wanted to do only 5 days, 50 hours but was refused, I got sick due to exhaustion plus previous personal, and went to docs so they have terminated my employment, however I wanted to leave anyway as I knew this was not right, I had my own salon for 9 years and would never treated my girls this way! but my question is, am I entitled to minimum wage on the weeks we did not earn, plus they have not paid me yet for last week when the agreement is every Monday,

As you are not UK based, may I suggest that you contact your nearest community advice service for specific advice relating to your situation.

Self employed should be that. You should have control of your own hours and money. Sounds like they were breaking the rules between self employed and employed. Contact UCAS or DWP x

I'm in U.K. As of a few weeks ago, just not changed profile yet :0)

As you are not UK based, may I suggest that you contact your nearest community advice service for specific advice relating to your situation.
Hi, did you remove info from before? Didn't get a chance to take details, I'm in U.K., hence why I commented on post and wrote pounds, not long got back here and not so tech savvy as to how to change location, if you could write info again would be eternally grateful :0)

ACAS helpline number: 0300 123 1100

Ring them and explain your situation, as you did above. If they think that your employer has blurred the line too far between employed/self employed, they will help advise you further.

You may be able to recoup lost income that should have been paid as NMW and any outstanding holiday pay, National Insurance contributions, etc.

ACAS helpline number: 0300 123 1100

Ring them and explain your situation, as you did above. If they think that your employer has blurred the line too far between employed/self employed, they will help advise you further.

You may be able to recoup lost income that should have been paid as NMW and any outstanding holiday pay, National Insurance contributions, etc.
Thanks :0) will do, and they are now refusing to give me details of hours and pay i did for me to give to my accountant, and just said "use your bank statement" :0/

Latest posts

Back