Self Employed Start Date

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impulse1976

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I wonder if you can help me i now have my insurance ordered my Eve Taylor products, booked on my tanrick course tomorow and i am now all ready to go.

I have one question about what date you can register as self employed. I know you have three months to register yourself as self employed. I have been saving my receipts up and my earliest one is dated 26/09/07. My next then jumps to 28/01/08. I am just wondering how far back you can use your receipts with set up costs etc. Could i use January as a registration date but still use my receipt for 26/09/07 or can you only use receipts back to the date you register yourself as going self employed.

Its only £30 but i guess every penny helps.

As business link are restructuring there isany anyone available to ask until 1st April.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Ring the Inland Revenue they will be able to help - i am sure if you are buying things while you are training that will be used when you work self employed they will still count x (as long as they are not years out of date) :hug:

hth

You register your start date as the first day you start working and taking money from paying clients,
you have 3 months to do this in,

you put all your receipts into the tax man from everything, stock, training, any traveling you have had to do to get the training venue, 40p per mile is allowed i think, it does not matter how old they are as long as they are not like 5 years old hth Sam :hug:

Thanks Louise, business link are calling me tomorrow so hopefully i can get registered. I have my first tan to do as well. Thats if i can get the hang of putting it down when you show me tomorrow. Poor Mark his eye is awful from the tent - whoops.

Thanks Louise, business link are calling me tomorrow so hopefully i can get registered. I have my first tan to do as well. Thats if i can get the hang of putting it down when you show me tomorrow. Poor Mark his eye is awful from the tent - whoops.
Poor mark, it has had me on my back side before today,
they are very strong but then again they do need to be, we will get you sorted hun don't worry,
you don't need to do it through business link,
you just ring the local tax office in Bradford and tell them you want to registrar your business and they send you a form to fill in and you post it back to them,
the form is straight forward to do,
i will see you tomorrow evening hun :hug:

When I registered with my tax office I was told that it had to be from when I took my first client payment, or within 3 months of that date.

So what happens with your receipts that you have got when you bought things to start up with before you get your first paying client?

When i set up i did my start date from the time i qualified and started to advertise, as i already had a few clients from then.

I added up all my training costs, kit costs etc that i had to get myself started, (obviously i had all receipts) and had this written down and listed as start up costs. This included insurance etc as well.

You would do this if you start up your own salon, you wouldn't disregard all start up costs and only go from your first client, you would be well out of pocket for ages if you did this.:)

Just make sure you keep ALL receipts and have a written or computer record of everything that you buy and everything that you earn. This can be a simple black book with columns with date, money in, money out, treatment, stock etc. Until you get majorly busy this is all you will need to do.

HTH's:)

Thanks for all your help on this post. It would all be very daunting if i didnt have this site :)

Latest posts

Back