Self employed??!?!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyCx x

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

this is my first post quite new to this. im a qualified hairdresser doing my nvq3 at the moment (nearly completed) my salon have recently told me that they'll be making me self employed!! i like working there as i also did my apprentiship there and get on well with everyone ill be the only self employed stylist there but i just dont know what to expect! im not that busy so dont know whether ill be makin money or no? what should i do to help build up a clientell? promotions? anything legal i should ask about? so many questions!!!! any help or advice would be appreciated.
thankyou

excuse bad spellings lol

Hi Amy
You should be wary about this as i suspect your employer is proposing this in order to save money.you would have to register as self employed, pay your own tax and ni plus insure yourself. You would not be entitled to any paid holiday, nor would you have employment protection.
Self employment is great for established hair and beauty profs that have large clienteles, but for someone starting out, I wouldn't recommend it.
I don't think your boss can force you into this, so I would resist if I were you.

There is alot of paperwork if you are self employed . If you do go down this route when you contact the inland revenue make sure you go on one of their free courses they are really us3seful and help explain everything in black and white

Latest posts

Back