Self employment or employed staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joycee8

Reaction score
How many of you employ or have self employed staff? How easy do you find it to employ staff. We have just taken on a member of staff and might take on another - not sure though as early days - rest are self employed . Advice would be good thanks :)

I would check with the Inland Revenue about this one. I had a client who took on self-employed staff in her beauty salon and she was investigated and penalised for not employing her staff. It ruined her business and she has just closed down because of it. It's a very 'grey area'. You could check with citizens advice bureau, they're really helpful and free :)

First of all I recommend doing a financial analysis of the situation, you shouldn't make any decisions until you know how it's going to affect your bottom line. I personally would only ever have an employed team as I have certain protocols and standards that I expect and the bottom line is far healthier.

I don't know why she would be penalised for taking on self employed, they pay their own tax and are insured and pay chair rent. We don't tell them what to do, we have a good team and everyone seems happy.

I would check with the Inland Revenue about this one. I had a client who took on self-employed staff in her beauty salon and she was investigated and penalised for not employing her staff. It ruined her business and she has just closed down because of it. It's a very 'grey area'. You could check with citizens advice bureau, they're really helpful and free :)

I would have thought one of the only reasons someone would be penalised for having self-employed staff is if they are to all intents and purposes treated as 'employed' but are declared as 'self-employed'. HMRC takes a dim view of this practice.

Yes probs, we keep ourselves right with business gateway. Employment is new to us though but feels scary, but I suppose everything is to start with :)

Latest posts

Back