Self employment query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other,half,works for hmrc he wants to take this further but I'm just worried I'm not in the wrong and I'm just being awkward.

However, I do agree with you. I'm sick of people taking on salons that don't,have a clue how it all works and then the self employed people get the blame for asking questions.

Do you think it is right to leave?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i would leave as quickly as possible. You deserve better and they should not be getting away with this

Looks like I'm picking my stuff up in the morning then lol

Where in Kent are you?

Makes me so angry, all I want to do is run my business from a salon

I live in Gravesend but work in Maidstone

I have a room to rent in Bromley Kent if thats any use

Really?? Ooh would love to know more, will pm you x

Yes the salon owner can dictate your hours of work, seeing as the owner has told you what hours you have to work, this can be bounding as a verbal contract. After all you don't have to work there if you don't like the hours.
As a self employed hairdresser you are not classed as fully self employed unless you have more than one place of work ie 2 salons that you work in, that was the rule when i was self employed. If you are concerened about being in the salon longer than needed then i suggest that you try and communicate to the owner, and organise a flexible hours of work.
If you are on a % of takings then you should not be required to buy any additional stock, but your owner is able to include it as a percentage eg, you should not be required to buy extra stock from the supplier. the owner also has a legal obligation to make sure that everyone on the premisis is earning minimum wage so cannot dictate that you are on the premisis if your are not earning money unless the whole days percentage equals minimum wage.
Do not get taken for granted, they cannot tell you what to charge your clients, they cannot make you take part in promotions unless it forms part of your agreement. And you must have your own cash tin and appointment book, if you do not have these thinhgs then you are classed as employed and there may be some issues regarding tax and N I. hope you find this usefull as far as i am aware this information is correct however check it out with your local inland revenew.

If you are truly self-employed you should be able to come and go as you please. However, you really should have established the hours you wish to work and have them in a contract, this avoids confusion and sets boundaries and makes sure both sides stick to the rules.

If you're the only BT in the salon and have said you will work ex amount of hours on ex amount of days then it should be honoured. However, if your normal working hours are till 5 and you shoot off home at 3 because business is slow, could potentially harm your business. What if a client walks in? You will soon be branded as unprofessional and a bad time keeper. If you share the premises with other BT's then I wouldn't think it would be so much of a problem as they would pick up walk-ins.

Are your hours of work advertised anywhere?

If you are totally self employed, have your own client base, make your own appointments using your own system then you should be able to work around your own business hours.

If you happen to use the salon booking system enabling them to make bookings on your behalf when you are not in, then you need to block the times you are not working out.

There are a lot of grey areas concerning rental but one thing I'm sure of to be self-employed you should have a unique tax reference and your own set of accounts.

With regards to groupon, as has been said, you should not be put in a position to do this if you do not want to. If you placed the groupon deals then fair enough, otherwise NO.

oh my! it sounds like a hellish place to work!!

Get out of there and find somewhere else, its shocking.

Basically, the groupon offer was never mentioned to me what so ever let alone ever explained to me and they wonder why I have the ump after working really hard to only then find out I was working for free. I had to honour the appointments that had been booked in from the last beautician who walked away. I wasn't asked if I wanted to do them, just expected to do them. What makes it even worse, the vouchers were valid through til august!! Well done, coming up with that one the whole way through summer when people are more than happy to pay out for mani's and pedi's lol.

I am more than happy to put the hours in but not to walk away empty handed.

I spoke to an employment tribuneral yesterday and they said I have ground to take legal action as they have treated me as an employee more than a self employed employee and therefore have not given me the correct rights.

Ok so end of the week, I got my pay packet and I am nota happy bunny!

I have been working my backside off, not eating and drinking all day to get through the clients I had booked in, now I don't mind doing it........if I'm getting paid for it but turns out I'm not!!

The owners put us on groupon without my consent and basically i've done a majority of treatments this week for nothing. I have to also use my own. Products. I worked 9 solid hours Friday and you want to know what I got paid, £9!! I worked 44 solid hours this week for £98.

On top if that I am expected to pay for the stock that is,being used which I haven't got the money to do AND also turns out there is another beautician there who can use my stuff so I'm getting through stuff in double the time and not getting the pay.

I think the icing on the cold was when I was doing my list of stock to get and we need OPI base coat I was,informed the owner didn't want to pay out for it and just pours a cheap version into an OPI bottle!!

Am I in the wrong for now being annoyed??

I've technically earned £35 this week taking petrol and car parks into account.

From what you've said here it sounds like you are being treated as an employed person. If you were truely self employed it would be up to you what to charge and whether to get involved with groupon or not.

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you are technically employed by someone who wants to call you "self employed" as a loophole to get around not paying you properly.

This doesn't sound right at all. It sounds disgustingly exploititive in fact and I guess you had an instinct for this earlier on.

If it was me in your shoes, I would get out of there and fast.

Urgh!

*hugs*

Basically, the groupon offer was never mentioned to me what so ever let alone ever explained to me and they wonder why I have the ump after working really hard to only then find out I was working for free. I had to honour the appointments that had been booked in from the last beautician who walked away. I wasn't asked if I wanted to do them, just expected to do them. What makes it even worse, the vouchers were valid through til august!! Well done, coming up with that one the whole way through summer when people are more than happy to pay out for mani's and pedi's lol.

I am more than happy to put the hours in but not to walk away empty handed.

I spoke to an employment tribuneral yesterday and they said I have ground to take legal action as they have treated me as an employee more than a self employed employee and therefore have not given me the correct rights.

This adds more weight to theory that these so called salon owners seek to exploit people for free labour.

I have turned down lots of work in this industry in the past due to people not following employment law.

I really wish something could be done to make it so that the jobs where you're paid legally aren't as rare as gold dust!!

I will be making the formal complaint next week. Do you think I am right to do so??

I will be making the formal complaint next week. Do you think I am right to do so??

Hi Hun did you get everything sorted regarding your self employment

Latest posts

Back