Semi permanent make-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elux

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a make-up artist who's really interested in taking up semi-permanent make-up, - But the cost of learning it is a bit steep and I'd have to take out a loan to cover the costs (£8000 not including the machine etc after)

Could anyone who does SM makeup or knows of it tell me if it's worth the training and if it pays off? Also is it difficult to get clients after completing the course too? I'm looking at training through nouveau contour.

x x x

I would say that there are no cheep ways of entering this field. I did training that was half the price of yours including all the equipment. I am now in a situation where I am not 100% confident with the procedures and am having to save up for some extra training.
It is the most difficult procedure I do and I am a nurse doing botox/fillers etc.
I would say that it could pay off in the long run if are good at it. If you have done a good job then the client will happily come back to you in 12-18 months for a refresh treatment so you will get repead business after a while.
Also remember that in some area you need to be registered with the council to do the treatments. They have just put the price up to £200 in my area!! That is to register at one premesis then they charge you on top for any further premesis you may use. If you were to be mobile running from salon to salon then this could add up.

Thanks for your reply. That's what worries me a bit and I'm trying to search online for reviews and work from trainees of Nouveau contour/natural enhancement/dermace and it's difficult to find. I wondered how hard is it difficult to get clients after finishing the course? Who did you train with?

I'm from hair but I've just had my eyebrows done yesterday at a training academy in manchester. The tutor there seemed really good and the student was really impressed as mine were the first ones she done. I'm so impressed, especially as I only paid £25 instead of £350. But I'd definitely pay that now I know the results. It's called adorn academy x

I trained with an independent lady in Dorset. The training was ok but have come away realising that there is much more to it than I thought. Also my lip model cancelled so I didn't get chance to try lips at all.
The major companies are very expensive but hopfully you would end up as feeling like an expert in the field,.

i trained with one of the companies mentioned here and i did not think it was going to be hard as it is, I am certified now etc but I have many people cancel as 'things' happen apparently last minute - out of 5 appointments booked i had 2 not turn up and two cancel...
I rent a room and do half price offers as at full price nobody bothers to contact me and I am not making anything to be honest at the moment. I did free treatments for my portfolio which was great as i got that out of the way (i had council issues in London) but i am hoping in the new year things will change once my website is ready. I have got practice out of it which is fab but it all works out different for everyone... I dont want to put you off honestly but this is my new career and it isnt working the way i had imagined

x

Hi Ladies

I've been doing Permanent makeup for over a year now and I'm happy to give you some advice .. I recently returned from a huge Permanent makeup Congress in Berlin and made some amazing contacts..

If you would like more info DM so I can explain more..

Kind Regards

Last Year, I too spent around £4K on a permanent make up course in Dorset (probably the same lady as Topsi) I see she has now removed the course from her website?? Very strange indeed! That says a lot!

I have to say it was terribly rushed and I ended up unconfident in my role, due to lack of course information and contents. I have had to spend another £2.7K (THIS YEAR) to do another course with someone else - and now another, £8k/ £9K plus to get to the top!

DO NOT go cheap for permanent make up training - I am now embarking on a conversion course with Nouveau Contour, I also need to purchase a decent machine, and have decent workshops and training with them!!

Wish I'd never gone cheap with permanent make up Training! Do not be seduced by cheap deals - learn with the best.

Last edited:
Hi Theresa I have PM'd you x

Hi Topsi,

I have sent you a PM too x

This was my old post some months back X

"When I looked some time back for the best training, I was looking at around £15000-£18000 I would then be a new be, I did not bother as the training companies made it look so easy, but the truth of it's hard to get clients, even working your but off.

Training companies were so eager to train me though! I was not interested in the cheaper stuff

I spoke to people who had trained, some said they needed to spend even more, and were not busy after 2 years!

I have also been told clients expectations were high, too high!!!!! With a high rate of anxiety.

I contacted a few salons and artists and got told the same, I was told by a few that they are busy, but I found out that this was smoke and mirror to make them sound good, they were just doing beauty and got a few customers.

I have got someone come in to the salon on commission, (Heidi Worman, she is the best!) I let her take all the flack!!!!, I don't need it, and get good commission, I don't have to worry out all the other stuff, plus insurance and licencing. XX

hi, i have been doing permanent make up for 2.5 years now. Can honestly say it was the best money i ever spent.
I trained with nouveau.
This is all i do, day in day out.
Its not as easy as people think to learn this, there has to be a certain amount of natural ability.
If your good at it and are driven then you will make money as id say 80 percent of my business comes from referrals.
think long and hard before parting with your money as when you look at the statistics only a few technicians realy make a ful time career out of it.

claire x

True what Claire says make sure you are totally 100% sure you want to take this on, as there are so many ups and downs more ups I must say! It takes a good while to get your work out there and there's baggage with this job so MUST be on the ball all the time. I love it so much, I dream about bloody brows and never satisfied always pushing to be better .. Its a Nightmare typical Virgo ha ha.. There are so many Artists I aspire too and learn from but all I would say is, don't be a sheep and follow everyone else find your own way. Look, learn and you will hopefully in time find your own style of working I'm changing mine all the time.. lol

I also trained with Nouveau but they are super expensive, I unfortunately didn't get the support I'd hoped and felt personally disappointed and let down but that's my experience.. There customer service is below average in my view and I can buy good quality German materials far cheaper else where... Why pay them??

On a positive if you want it and never give up you'll get there in time.. For me the Russians work is amazing and hope to travel over in the New Year.. :hug:

Claire's work (babyelephant) is amazing and the best hair strokes that I've ever seen. I can only dream.........

Check out Anna Savina from Moscow! Wow

This is on my to do list this year for sure I've been talking about it for 3 years :)

I must admit over the past few months I've been thinking about training in this. I am looking at going with Nouveau aswell, was looking at going straight into the Elite course as if I'm going to get a loan then I may aswell go for the full hog. Also I am very interested in the medical cosmetic side which requires even more training I believe. They do insight days which I am hoping to go on soon to gain more info. xx

to the above poster who mentioned wanting to do paramedical, as rewarding as it is , its not a big money maker........... i did the gold when i trained with nouveau which is now the platinum. i really wish i hadnt paid the extra money as id say 80 percent of my business is brows.
Whilst i make a fantastic living from this, there are alot more who dont. Think carefully before parting with that much cash........ its not as easy as you think to make the money back! plus theres other things your going to need to pay out for afterwards!
If i could turn the clock back id probably have done bronze or silver then done additional one day courses at a later time..........
If you really want to do the paramedical then i suppose your best doing the whole lot........ but in my opinion its something to do later down the line....... its a difficult arena to get into .

claire xx

to the above poster who mentioned wanting to do paramedical, as rewarding as it is , its not a big money maker........... i did the gold when i trained with nouveau which is now the platinum. i really wish i hadnt paid the extra money as id say 80 percent of my business is brows.
Whilst i make a fantastic living from this, there are alot more who dont. Think carefully before parting with that much cash........ its not as easy as you think to make the money back! plus theres other things your going to need to pay out for afterwards!
If i could turn the clock back id probably have done bronze or silver then done additional one day courses at a later time..........
If you really want to do the paramedical then i suppose your best doing the whole lot........ but in my opinion its something to do later down the line....... its a difficult arena to get into .

claire xx

Could you recommend which is best if I really only want to focus on brows mainly hairstroke. When I look at the site it look like I need to do gold to learn that technique would that be right? :) thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back