Sending therapist on a course, hotel or drive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want your therapist to be able to offer specific treatments, then you must pay for the training and the means for her to undertake the training. This would include travel and overnight accommodation plus reasonable costs of all meals during the day.

As mentioned previously, if you are staying away from home you cannot prepare the food yourself so will have to rely on what's available locally.

If you can't afford to do it properly at the moment, then wait until you can afford to do so.

I really don't understand this attitude of employees having to be grateful for having a job and therefore, they should be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep said job.

Utter nonsense! This is not the way to run a successful business and retain well qualified and highly motivated staff.

The surest way to run a business into the ground is to treat the staff badly. Just look around...

If you want your therapist to be able to offer specific treatments, then you must pay for the training and the means for her to undertake the training. This would include travel and overnight accommodation plus reasonable costs of all meals during the day.

As mentioned previously, if you are staying away from home you cannot prepare the food yourself so will have to rely on what's available locally.

If you can't afford to do it properly at the moment, then wait until you can afford to do so.

I really don't understand this attitude of employees having to be grateful for having a job and therefore, they should be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep said job.

Utter nonsense! This is not the way to run a successful business and retain well qualified and highly motivated staff.

The surest way to run a business into the ground is to treat the staff badly. Just look around...

I am agreeing with this.

An hour and a half is a long commute. I've never worked an hour and a half away from my house because I don't want to. And neither does she.

If she needs to do the training for the job then I feel it is upto you to put her into a hotel. The travelling would be so tiring over the week especially when your not used to it.

I am a confident driver and I wouldn't be happy if my boss sent me to a training class an hour and a half away and expected me to drive there and back every day. If she's not confident you can't hold that against her, what if she couldn't drive?

I am in agreement with the people who say hold of till you can afford it

I think we can end discussion now !
I am no way a bad employer or a tight one ! I pay my therapist a good hourly rate and send her on good training and cover all expenses.
We have decided between us that she will go by train and then a taxi to the door.
She can take packed lunches and study on the train which I don't see as a problem nor does she.
Holding off on training is not an option.
I was merely saying £430 is a lot of money for a premier inn for 4 nights ! And asking others for ideas.
Thanks everyone x

Glad you managed to figure it out.

I disagree with this because if a salon owner wants training provided for a therapist who is then contracted to working in the salon following that training, it is not the trainees responsibility to pay and hence be out of pocket.

Lots of people drive huge distances to work each day but that is ones choice if they choos a job away from home. In the case for a therapist who is being sent away for training for the benefit of the salon, it is up to the employer to cover costs for both accommodation and travel. As one eats daily anyway, I think it is fair to negotiate on a budget for food expenses.

Why 'is it too bad she's not confident driving'? Not everyone is confident behind the wheel of a car but this should not be used against her.

Why must a trainee be out of pocket because she is being sent on a course by the salon? Yes her knowledge base will grow and she can only benefit from what she learns but she is being contracted by the salon to essentially pay them pack with her experience by providing a service.

If the salon has afforded a huge makeover and there is no money left in the coffers for training, then perhaps the training should be put on hold or she should be trained in house.

I see it as tough, I know a lot of people not confident, then again I know someone who drove from north Wales to London a week after passing her test at 18.
Te employer is willing to pay travel costs if you re read, she does not want to pay a hotel. The owner is within her right to offer the cost of travel, be it for train or petrol, and if te employee doing the training so wishes, she can put it towards a hotel.
Why should te salon be out because the driver isn't confident, should they be driving If not confident?
See it as a service. Would you want a hairdresser who isn't confident at cuts cutting your hair? No? They should re educate. A driver isn't confident, they are fine to just drive around ad make roads dangerous. And I'm not a driver so all my views on travel and hotels are from someone who would have to use public transport or cover the extra cost of a hotel xoxo

Glad it's all been sorted.

Another point I would just like to add to this thread is that an employee is very lucky to be sent on product training as not all employers offer the full extent of product training that both the therapist and business in general would benefit from.

So yeah, I think you're giving your employee an amazing opportunity overall. As a career motivated therapist I would jump at the chance to become fully trained in a product range. I bet Decleor is lovely :)

I have just finished my 5 day face training with Decleor yesterday, there was nearly 50 girls from my spa that went in groups and we all had to travel a hour and a half to get there and back each day and we all survived:)
Come Friday I was a bit knackered as the course is quiet intense but some of the girls even worked the weekend too so I think it's absolutely fine to do that each day and I agree with the others it's nice to be invested in and sent on these courses x

glad you got it sorted hun and well done for sending your staff on training xx

Latest posts

Back