Sending therapists on training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettywoman2008

Reaction score
Hi ladies, gents,

I will be sending someone on a training course for 5 days. They only work 2 days a week. What is the common structure hear do I pay them for 5 days? Or travel expenses? Anyone else I have sent I have paid for but usually I am on the course to and this therapist has only been here a few weeks! Just looking for opinions.

In the olden days when I was sent on courses I my days off I wasn't paid but was obviously happy with gaining training and certificates I didn't have to pay for.

Anyone's thoughts for nowadays?

I do have a clause in contracts that if they leave within 6 months they have to pay back training costs!

You should be paying her full pay during the days she is working/training plus travel and subsistence expenses.

Agree with AcidPerm. I sent my part timer on a 2 day course, they happened to land on her days off but I still paid her for the full days plus travel & parking expenses I can't see how you could expect her to go unpaid??

Thanks ladies, wasn't expecting her to go unpaid just wanted a bit of friendly advice as to what everyone else in the industry does. Now that I have that I feel better. Thanks for your comments

Just to expand on my original post as it was a bit brief.

It's no longer discretionary to decide whether or not to pay wages when you send an employee on a training course. Changes in employment law mean that staff must be paid for all the hours that they are obligated to you whether working in the salon or attending training.

Obviously, if the staff member had independently booked and paid for the course and it wasn't held during a normal working day, you wouldn't have to pay them.

Hope that helps?

You should be paying her full pay during the days she is working/training plus travel and subsistence expenses.
If you pay her a full day's pay and
Just to expand on my original post as it was a bit brief.

It's no longer discretionary to decide whether or not to pay wages when you send an employee on a training course. Changes in employment law mean that staff must be paid for all the hours that they are obligated to you whether working in the salon or attending training.

Obviously, if the staff member had independently booked and paid for the course and it wasn't held during a normal working day, you wouldn't have to pay them.

Hope that helps?
If you pay her a full day's pay to attend this training would you include this days pay in the calculation of training costs to be repaid if she left with in the training claw back period written in her contract of employment?

No, because she's already fulfilled that obligation by turning up to the training.
Wages are renumeration for the hours she's worked or attended a training course.

Your contract should stipulate training course FEES being recouped.

Latest posts

Back