Senior stylist pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnydog1999

Reaction score
Would people mind sharing what they get paid? Uk based! I have been hairdressing for ten years, have worked in other countries hairdressing as my current position in my salon is lead stylist. My pay is £8.50 ph and we have a bonus scheme that goes like this.....make £3000 get £30 on top of wage, £4000 get £120, £5000 get £200. Aftertax and National insurance and pension I am clearing about £1250 and I always make the £5000 bonus. What does everybody think of this? I asked for a pay rise when they promoted me to lead stylist and said they couldn’t afford to buy my haircut prices went up £4? I just feel undervalued

So u are hitting £5000 a month ? That’s great for them , I pay my senior £9.50 an hour or 35% whichever is the higher so if £5000 £1750 we r in the midlands small salon
Generally 30-35% is the standard viable number.

So u are hitting £5000 a month ? That’s great for them , I pay my senior £9.50 an hour or 35% whichever is the higher so if £5000 £1750 we r in the midlands small salon
Generally 30-35% is the standard viable number.

Always hitting the £5000, feb was an amazing month I brought in £6,400 but still got the same bonus as before. The £1750 is before tax?

I think you are undervalued yes. I would be expecting your about 9.50ph for those figures.

Can I ask where in the country you are? X

I think you are undervalued yes. I would be expecting your about 9.50ph for those figures.

Can I ask where in the country you are? X

Northern Ireland. I work in a medium sized ten just outside of the capital, we are the best salon in our area with 10 staff. Any time I ring up my hourly pay my boss keeps telling me that I average at £10.50 per hour with my bonus. But I keep telling her that’s not my hourly rate I’m only getting the extra as a bonus. It’s like talking to a brick wall. They don’t care if people leave we are all replaceable to them. Just feel when the minimum wage goes up in April I’ll be getting paid basically on power with minimum for a 25 year old.

Northern Ireland. I work in a medium sized ten just outside of the capital, we are the best salon in our area with 10 staff. Any time I ring up my hourly pay my boss keeps telling me that I average at £10.50 per hour with my bonus. But I keep telling her that’s not my hourly rate I’m only getting the extra as a bonus. It’s like talking to a brick wall. They don’t care if people leave we are all replaceable to them. Just feel when the minimum wage goes up in April I’ll be getting paid basically on power with minimum for a 25 year old.
That's not right at all! Where has she got those figures from? I would sit down with all the calculations. Do you know another stylist in the area /another reputable salon ?

@AcidPerm can you help, I think you are Northern Ireland aren't you x

That's not right at all! Where has she got those figures from? I would sit down with all the calculations. Do you know another stylist in the area /another reputable salon ?

@AcidPerm can you help, I think you are Northern Ireland aren't you x

I think she has literally plucked them from thin air. The thing is I really want to open my own salon in maybe 3-5 years and I’ve left the country a couple of times to go travelling so I just want to stay in one place to really build my clientele and then leave! I think I should just persevere and keep asking for more money and then just leave when I can?

I think she has literally plucked them from thin air. The thing is I really want to open my own salon in maybe 3-5 years and I’ve left the country a couple of times to go travelling so I just want to stay in one place to really build my clientele and then leave! I think I should just persevere and keep asking for more money and then just leave when I can?
Totally up to you doll, clearly they aren't bothered as you said before they don't care when people leave.

How many of these staff are support and not bringing in money? If 6 people are bringing roughly the same amount in monthly she is making a fair bit (obsessed I don't know about the overheads though) x

The salon brings in around 200grand per year, from what I’ve seen on the computer. All I want is like one pound more per hour [emoji24] then I would be happy. Thanks for getting back to me. I was starting to think I was being greedy or stupid.

The salon brings in around 200grand per year, from what I’ve seen on the computer. All I want is like one pound more per hour [emoji24] then I would be happy. Thanks for getting back to me. I was starting to think I was being greedy or stupid.
Not at all. I'll be honest though if they are the best salon in the area.....that's how they are getting away with it. Everyone likes being apart of that 'feel' you know ?

I would go into your meeting and say that you have more than proved yourself. Is there anything you can do to get that payrise?

Or........you could set up your own place now??

Latest posts

Back