Sensitivity to L&P - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerenaD

Reaction score
Ok, here is my dilemma.... I LOVE this profession. However, when I was in nail school I developed a sensitivity to L&P. I have tried working in nitrile gloves and 1. They get in my way and 2. If they get a hole in them from filing, my e-file, etc. I get terrible chemical burns and swelling that is extremely painful and itchy. I offer UV gel, but a lot of clients have been using L&P for years and want to stick to that. I have heard of the dip systems and that they can be used as alternative to L&P for people that have sensitivity to it, but I haven't heard the best things about these systems. I want to be able to offer "acrylic" to my clients and don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I am the only nail technician at a high-end salon & spa and want to offer the best to my clients as well an extensive service menu. Please help as I am fairly new to this business and want to be successful. Thanks!!! :)

What l+p products are you using at the moment?
I believe that CND Retention has been great for techs with a sensitivity

Hi,

I wouldn't bother with dipping, it doesn't make the best nails. Have you tried a liquid for people who experience sensitivity such as nsi universal? Other to that I'm not sure. :s

I have currently been using CND Retention, but it too has my hands looking just awful! :( My pointer finger and thumb are red, puffy, and peeling terribly. I haven't heard of any L&P for people with sensitivity! I have tried NSI, but I believe it was Attraction and Competition formulas. I will have to look into Universal. I use a lot of CND products and love all if them. But NSI was what we used in school. I will check it out.. Thanks! :)

I can't use L&P due to allergies. Have had no problem with Brisa Gel and Shellac. Try and convert your L&P clients to Brisa. Tell them it's hypoallergenic for them too. :)

Trust me... I have BEEN trying to convert them! Lol. You know how that goes... Especially with my older clients. Not to mention the price difference in L&P and gel. I am beginning to be well known in this area for my freehand nail art and it can get a little pricy for my clients due to how long it takes to execute the desired design. Getting nail art clients to switch from $25 per set to $40 per set is not easy either.

Good luck. Allergies are rubbish, I'm allergic to my favourite food oh tomatoes :(

Hope you manage to get sorted, do a little research into cost per set for gel etc as if you can keep your prices relatively similar you should be able to convert them, just may be a bit of persuasion involved. I don't understand why people are so opposed to L&P/gel I'll happily wear both especially with there now being soak off gels. Does the £25 include freehand art? That's very cheap if it does so I wouldn't worry too much. But I don't know where you're located so I can't comment if you're not in the UK

Health first. x

I am in the US and no... The $25 doesn't include art. Just a full set of L&P. (Pretty standard price in the area.) We have "nail shops" (or chop shops, as I call them) popping up on every corner charging discount prices and using crazy off brand products. It makes it hard on professional nail techs to price our service menu. :( One opened directly across the street from our business just a few weeks ago. Once their nails are drilled down paper thin and super damaged clients will come in wanting them to be "fixed". Lol. But that is one of the reasons I am really wanting to be able to offer both L&P and gel. I hate turning clients away knowing they will go there and damage their nails.

Have a read of the article link below about allergies

Science Topic: Allergies

Unfortunately you are already using the lowest allergen causing liquid & powder ...

Hope the article will offer some help

Thanks so much for this article Envy! When I was in school I was determined to perfect my L&P application and would practice at night a lot once my kids went to bed. I would be so tired and I actually fell asleep with my arms on my table on my disposable service towel, brush in hand and slept in in chemicals overnight. When I woke up I had terrible red rash, blisters, and my skin was peeling on my fingers, hands, and arms up to my elbows. It was so bad I had to go to the hospital for a shot and steroid cream. It took about a month to clear it up. Do you know where I can get a barrier cream? I have never heard of that... Maybe that will help with the use of my nitrile gloves... Again, thanks so much! :)

I am in the US and no... The $25 doesn't include art. Just a full set of L&P. (Pretty standard price in the area.) We have "nail shops" (or chop shops, as I call them) popping up on every corner charging discount prices and using crazy off brand products. It makes it hard on professional nail techs to price our service menu. :( One opened directly across the street from our business just a few weeks ago. Once their nails are drilled down paper thin and super damaged clients will come in wanting them to be "fixed". Lol. But that is one of the reasons I am really wanting to be able to offer both L&P and gel. I hate turning clients away knowing they will go there and damage their nails.

That happened to me but they were shut within a year so don't loose heart. I never sold myself down to meet their prices, clients soon realised and most were loyal anyway. I quite like chop shop I might keep that one :) You can pick up barrier creams from all salon wholesalers so presuming its the same for you but you would have to be very careful about not transferring any grease onto the nail plate.

If you really want to try the gel offer a intro price (first set only) on the gel to get it on clients and once its on they'll probably want to keep it through fills etc. If your works better it's worth the price. Try a smaller sized start up kit perhaps to see how it goes then you're not loosing money? Presuming you already have a lamp you'll only need gels and a different primer/bonder if you can already use gel.

Oh my gosh SerenaD I really feel for you as I have been through this terrible ideal myself. The itching almost drives you crazy and the pain is horrible.

I was using CND Retention+ for my acrylics and was so upset that I would not be able to have lovely nails as my nails do need enhancements for strength. In desperation I did a spot test with Brisa Gel and I did not react.

Then my lecturer told me about NSI Universal Liquid (monomer). I really prefer acrylic so I thought what have I got to lose and did a patch test on my arm. To my surprise I had absolutely no reaction, no redness, itching or pain what so ever! I then purchased my own and did a set of acrylics on myself and it was fine. My lecturer explained that quite often people have reactions to the purple dye used in a lot of monomers, the NSI Universal Liquid is a clear formula. I don't know what it is that I was allergic to in the other monomers because I have not been tested by a professional, all I do know is that the NSI Universal is working for me and I am now a very happy girl because I can do acrylics on myself and clients without any allergic reactions.

Hope this helps and I hope you find a solution for yourself, I know how frustrating it can be.

Thanks so so much! Maybe it is the dye! *fingers crossed* that would fabulous! I know that gels fall under the same family classification as L&P and I don't seem to have any reaction to ANYTHING other than the monomer liquid. And all that I have used are purple. I am going to try the NSI Universal and see how it goes. I live gel but really want to be able to offer both. Thanks again so much for the advice everyone. It is such a painful thing to go through and I was so aggravated that I could not offer acrylic anymore. What kind of nail tech is allergic to acrylic! Lol. Obviously this one...

Hi,
I am allergic to acrylic too. I have only just got my nails back to a decent condition. All my nails lifted off the nail bed and the pain and itching was unbearable.
I now use brisa lite and also express acrylics from star nails which is with a resin instead of a monomer.
Similar to tip and dip but more of a dusting acrylic. I find it lasts as well if not better than other acrylics!!!

I would love to use normal acrylics again but I think whatever I try I will react to. On myself now, I can iswear shellac and even react a little bit with gel polish on. I wear gloves or everything now x

Latest posts

Back