Serious tan geeks, who's good with chemistry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyb1975

Reaction score
Ok, this is for the serious tan geeks! :D

When it comes to spray tan base colours how do you work out which colour base is good for which skin type/colour?

I had always worked with green base tans and on my fair skin they always seemed a bit golden/orangy. I then found a violet base tan which I found better on my skin and my clients love but the company director has said that violet base can be ashy on darker skins so I should be using a green base on those skins. (They seriously have about 20 different tans to choose from all with different development times, base colours and % which really confuses me!)

I've now been reading about a new tan which is red/black base which is meant to be better for fair skins as (the director said) violet base can leave fair skins with a red tone.

Can anyone shed some light on all this please??? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Mel

Bump

Tan Envy??

Ok, this is for the serious tan geeks! :D

When it comes to spray tan base colours how do you work out which colour base is good for which skin type/colour?

I had always worked with green base tans and on my fair skin they always seemed a bit golden/orangy. I then found a violet base tan which I found better on my skin and my clients love but the company director has said that violet base can be ashy on darker skins so I should be using a green base on those skins. (They seriously have about 20 different tans to choose from all with different development times, base colours and % which really confuses me!)

I've now been reading about a new tan which is red/black base which is meant to be better for fair skins as (the director said) violet base can leave fair skins with a red tone.

Can anyone shed some light on all this please??? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Mel

Violet base (ie purple) is a variation of blue base. Tried it myself once and on my skin (Fitzpatrick III with yellow undertones) I was left with a distinct purple/ashy tinge. So yes, blue bases can (unless counteracted with other active ingredients such as erythulose or black walnut extract ) be ashy on darker skin tones.

Red/black - this is interesting. I would say they are using black walnut extract in a red base to give it the black hue. We use black walnut in a blue base. I would be wary of using a red/black base on very fair skins although red/blue base mixes (I call them cocktails) come up fabulously on fair skins.

Green bases work across most skin types although can throw golden hues on very fair skins, particularly Fitzpatrick I's.

Is hard because when it comes to tanning solutions, nothing is really set in stone. There is a general guide but unfortunately human skin is a hard canvas to work on - so many variances and contributing factors which can affect colour outcome etc. hormones, medication.... the list goes on.

I think having 20 solutions is a bit crazy... are they all truly different formulas or just the one formula with different % of DHA and different colourguides. That just makes it, as you said, confusing!

I used to use virtual sun which I struggle to get hold if now, it was a red base and th best tan I've ever used

I used to use virtual sun which I struggle to get hold if now, it was a red base and th best tan I've ever used

Red bases are very much underused and unappreciated, especially in the UK with all your Fitzpatrick Type 1 and 2's over there.

Latest posts

Back