'Service Industry'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have experienced so much of this attitude and it really bugs me. Having worked in an FE college as well, sometimes teachers are the worst. A few years ago one of my students had her functional skills maths tutor ask her why she was doing hairdressing as she had a really good GCSE maths grade! Also quite a few students come from doing A levels as their parents have tried to persuade them to stay on at school and go to uni but it's not what they want so they end up enrolling a year or so later anyway!
One of my sons friends mum who is also a head of year in a local secondary school and has become a friend over the years was quite surprised when during one of our conversations we spoke about the skills needed for hairdressing and I told her the job entails maths, English, science and gave examples such as cutting angles, ratio for mixing colours/ diluting peroxides and how the students have to learn structure of skin, ph scale etc. not to mention the communication skills needed for dealing with the public. she didn't have a clue and as a result has now asked me to go in to the school and do a little careers talk for her pupils, so hopefully she is not so judgemental as she was previously!
On another note though she asked me to give a pupil some work experience in a few months time so I agreed. Asked her if the pupil wants to be a hairdresser and she said no, she has a few 'difficulties' but I know you will look after her! At this point I had already said yes so couldn't back out but it really annoyed me!

What about this one....are you ready!!!!!
Client of mine goes on a cruise.
When she came back, she couldn't wait to tell me how much she enjoyed it, blah blah blah....
........"I was however, VERY surprised to find myself sat next to a woman who was a hairdresser...."
Curious, I enquire as to why she would be surprised........
"Well how could she have afforded the cruise, she's just does hair.....":mad::mad::mad:
The assumption that we are 'scratching' a living, on the fringes of society, makes my blood boil!
(Not all my client's are like this.......but there are a few.....) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I tell clients I've been on a cruise on the QE2 they all assume I mean as staff!

Vic x

I've been staff.....nothing wrong in that.......:p
Absolutely not - it's just the assumption!

I was only 21 at the time and had far more fun with the staff than the passenger's - if you know what I mean

Vic x

Absolutely not - it's just the assumption!

I was only 21 at the time and had far more fun with the staff than the passenger's - if you know what I mean

Vic x

Ah, you see I'm just as bad as the punters there. I thought cruises were for the over 50's. I didn't realise younger folk went. Oops. :eek:

Heres a great one for you, when I was in 6th year i was in the principals office (nothing serious I'd never been in trouble before but was caught by one of our teachers with my phone out in the hallway) he said to me 'I've noticed you haven't sent in a CAO form.. What are you planning on doing after you leave here' I told him I already had a place at a very good private beauty therapy college and he basically told me I was stupid for doing that because I did well in school etc. I left and cried. Now I look back and kick myself for not standing up for myself.

In my area/county I understand why its seen this way. Girls who didn't do well in exams do beauty or hair courses because they think its easy. I seen so many selling beauty, nail or hair equipment on Facebook saying 'selling because I couldn't do it, selling because I don't have the patience' etc

I was actually doing a girls gel nails recently at her house and as I was doing it she was eating a slice of pizza while swapping hands telling me how she'd love to 'do nails or hair' because 'its so easy. Its probably the easiest job to do'. I was literally speechless and felt like packing up my stuff and saying if its so easy do it yourself and leaving.

As there is soooo little activity on SG, I have decided to stir the hornet's nest.......
I have a client who is a 'Head of year' in a secondary school in London.
To be honest, I already knew what her response to my question would be....but as I was in 'one of my moods' I proceeded to ask it!!!!;)
"What career paths are most of your little lovelies looking to pursue....?"

Some of you reading this will have already guessed where this is leading.......Some will be surprised/upset/GOB SMACKED o_O
Remember, this is a HEAD OF YEAR, with a degree of influence on our young people.
"Those's who are not very bright, will go into Child care, Hairdressing or Beauty............."
Let me know your thought's..........

I actually have no words...... :mad:

Latest posts

Back