Severe reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexa2008

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Basically need some advice please

I am a mua and have been doing makeup for 14 years.
Last week I did a client she had unknown allergies and no sensitivities. Skin looked fine no contraindications.
The client messaged me 30 hours later to say she is in hospital and had a nasty reaction to the makeup.
Her face was very swollen eyes puffy and had a sore rash on face.
I am struggling to think what could of caused it.
All makeup is high end and bought from Debenhams or Mac website or beauty bay etc.
I am thinking that it is the isopropyl that is used to sanitise the brushes after being washed perhaps some residue was left on the brushes?
I have felt sick all xmas and completely knocked my confidence that I’ve cancelled my new year eve clients.

Contact your insurance. Did she come in for a trial and note down what she tends to use on her own face. Reactions nowadays are really rare in makeup. List for yourself what you have used to let your insurance know. How long did she keep it on for? Reactions with makeup tend to happen quite quickly. If you had SPF in the foundation that may have caused a reaction....
In my opinion the make up brush solution tends to evaporate and dry after washing the brushes...so i find it hard to think that would of caused the reaction.
Good luck and don't cancel your clients, some clients are just that sensitive and they probably haven't got a clue about it. xoxo

Contact your insurance. Did she come in for a trial and note down what she tends to use on her own face. Reactions nowadays are really rare in makeup. List for yourself what you have used to let your insurance know. How long did she keep it on for? Reactions with makeup tend to happen quite quickly. If you had SPF in the foundation that may have caused a reaction....
In my opinion the make up brush solution tends to evaporate and dry after washing the brushes...so i find it hard to think that would of caused the reaction.
Good luck and don't cancel your clients, some clients are just that sensitive and they probably haven't got a clue about it. xoxo
No it was a party makeup so no trial I only do them for bridal.
All I can think is I had a dodgy batch of santisier and it wasn’t diluted properly as now the swelling has gone down looked like red burn. SHe said it was stinging that night but as she was out thought nothing of it and kept it on til early hours.
She has gone for a patch test at Estée Lauder for the primer used. She already uses the foundation I used.
I thought maybe nickle from the metal spatula I use to scoop up the foundation but she hasn’t for a known allergy.

I think I will ditch the sanitiser and get a different brand in case I had a dodgy one.

No it was a party makeup so no trial I only do them for bridal.
All I can think is I had a dodgy batch of santisier and it wasn’t diluted properly as now the swelling has gone down looked like red burn. SHe said it was stinging that night but as she was out thought nothing of it and kept it on til early hours.
She has gone for a patch test at Estée Lauder for the primer used. She already uses the foundation I used.
I thought maybe nickle from the metal spatula I use to scoop up the foundation but she hasn’t for a known allergy.

I think I will ditch the sanitiser and get a different brand in case I had a dodgy one.
Honestly I'm vouching that its couldn't be your sanitizer as it evaporates quite quickly even if you had washed it or let it dry. Plus you need to let your insurance know as she clearly ignored warning signs that something wasn't right for her skin. Good luck xoxo

I’m allergic to some brands of make up including Benefit, Dior, Boots No.7 etc. so cost of product isn’t really relevant but the ingredients are.

It’s irrelevant wether it’s high end or high street. A reaction can happen regardless.
Did she eat or drink anything she doesn’t normally on her night out?
My friend reacts only on her face if she has certain seafood. (Just using her as an example.)
I highly doubt it would be your brush cleaner as the above poster has said.
Did she sign a record card etc?

I’d send her a list of what you used and let her do the homework. These things happen,

It really does depend not only on your make up treatment but what she’s used or been in contact with herself.
As can become allergic to anything even after years of using / eating things.
I have recently reacted the same as your client 4 times in the last 4 months, and up until last Friday when again I had another flare up that I’m now thinking that it may be my L’oreal root spray that I have been using between my hair colour appointments to hide my grey after eleminating everything else that I use.
Iv never had a reaction to anything ever before and I’m still not certain 100% it is that.
I would contact your insurance company tho, and see what they advise you to do / say.
Xxxx

Latest posts

Back