Shall I? Shan't I?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjayp

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of dilemma at the moment, I work 3days a week in a job I've done for 22 yrs, have done beauty on & off in-between, I've now been back into the beauty business since last June, 3days a week working from my lovely home salon. these last few weeks I'm having to turn customers away as I've became really busy, my prob is I want to do beauty full time, but scared As my other work is a safety net, I feel shattered because of the long hours I'm putting in but just love my new business, I just need a little bit of encouragement or guidance, has anyone else had this dilemma, did you take the plunge then think oh what have I done,do you find the beginning of the week quiet or steady, then rush like mad the end of the week? Oh all the questions I'll shut up now .

If you are turning clients away that is a good indication that you could add one more day to your beauty business. And if you are trying to break into beauty full time you should NEVER TURN AWAY CLIENTS. They will go somewhere else and they may be lost to you forever.

Is it possible to work two days at your other job?

Sometimes you just have to walk to the edge and jump. ... that's what I did and I had no safety net of a husband or partner to bail me out or keep the household ticking over.

I can honestly say that it is the hardest I have ever worked in my life but I don't regret it for one minute and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Jacqui xx

I would wait a bit longer before leaving your job as in this industry there are certain times of the year which are busier and certain parts of the month i.e pay day.

Is there anyway you can still work your hours but if you have a busy week try and put in a few more hours just to test the water before taking the plunge. I agree it is a good sign but what would happen if you decided to leave your job and discovered you weren't as busy as you would like? On the other hand if you decided to go full time with the beauty it would mean that you would have more time to spend on advertising etc. so maybe you could make it grow quicker.

Ah thanks for getting back so quickly, I will perhaps drop a day from my job as I can please myself being self employed but I have deadlines to make & 2days is not enough to finish the jobs I do, I will probably play it by ear for now, but I physically can't work any more hours I work till 10pm some nights. My eating pattterns all over the place .

If you are working til 10.00pm AND turnng clients away it sounds as if you are almost there with regard to having enough clients for a full time business with more reasonable hours.

Great that you can drop to two days at your other job, you need to find a way perhaps to be able to finish those jobs within the two days!!!

Jacqui xx

Hi sjayp

I was in exactly the same position as you. Been working for donkeys, varying hours at a local school. Started doing beauty courses five years ago and have gradually built up my skills. Converted my garage and started out there with only one or two clients a week between my school job. Over the last five years it has grown and grown (word of mouth - no advertising apart from website I had two years ago).

I finally took the plunge just over a month ago when I started having to turn customers away because I was shattered and couldn't cope with more evening work! Best thing I have ever done - am absolutely loving it, dont miss my old job at all. Because I've been available I've also gained new clients because I'm here more to answer phones and can fit people in easier. Within a month my week is now full!

Yes I was very worried about taking the leap and thought long and hard about it (for over a year!). I do have a very supportive husband who is the main wage earner and I know I am very lucky in that respect.

Good luck making your decision as you have to feel comfortable with it, but all I can say is that it has been the most exciting, positive experience for me and I'm still on a high in the knowledge that I have set up and am running my very own business that I love!

Latest posts

Back