Shellac allergy as a nail tech!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe*88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone had any advice for me. I've been a therapist for almost 10 Years, recently went self employed and consequently doing a lot more nails than I did in salon as I was very much massage and facial based.
I use CND shellac and I have unfortunately seemed to have got some form of allergy to it as its splitting my skin on my thumb, index finger and the knuckle of my middle finger..if you imagine where the bottle sits, that's where my irritation is!

I've been wearing gloves for the last 3 months but it seems to come through and still irritate. I've been using cnd for years, but my hands are so sore and almost a little unsightly. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks!!

Before jumping to conclusions, get a bottle of shellac and have it tested on your skin with an allergiologist.
It might a combination of things and not just the shellac for instance.
If indeed you have developed an allergy, there might be a possibility you can cure it, if it's not too long a time it has started showing up.
In the meantime there are herbal antihistamines you can get in any drugstore to help it subside slightly.
Best of luck

If you are very allergic to something, using it just on clients can still trigger the allergy. Definitely worth finding out with an allergy test. Cnd shellac is hypoallergenic but someone can still be allergic to it.

I have the same with acrylic, i have always used nsi but read somewhere cnd acrylic is good for allergy to acrylics, But i am ok with shellac, Hope you find your answes. I do feel for you hun

I am exactly the same. I use Calgel, CND acrylic and their shellac. I used Calgel before any CND and got on fine. I think it is the scrubfresh with the shellac. My hands are always itchy. I managed to clear it up for a while and have a steroid cream to use if it flares up. I wear gloves but still get irritation

I am exactly the same. I use Calgel, CND acrylic and their shellac. I used Calgel before any CND and got on fine. I think it is the scrubfresh with the shellac. My hands are always itchy. I managed to clear it up for a while and have a steroid cream to use if it flares up. I wear gloves but still get irritation

Just be careful using cal guard I have such bad allergy to this I can't use it without gloves.
I qualified over 10 years ago so it has been from years of constant exposure. The chemical turns my skin white almost immediately just in my thumb and index fingers and burns like crazy and won't stop burning till I use a nail file and FILE my skin off , washing doesn't do anything or help.
I stopped using this immediately and switched to plain izoroalcohol instead and i wear gloves and it seems to have helped me a lot more.

Any over exposure is bad for you .

Just be careful using cal guard I have such bad allergy to this I can't use it without gloves.
I qualified over 10 years ago so it has been from years of constant exposure. The chemical turns my skin white almost immediately just in my thumb and index fingers and burns like crazy and won't stop burning till I use a nail file and FILE my skin off , washing doesn't do anything or help.
I stopped using this immediately and switched to plain izoroalcohol instead and i wear gloves and it seems to have helped me a lot more.

Any over exposure is bad for you .

Yeah I now have irritation through guard also. I have a steroid cream from my doctor, at first I used it loads and it helped then created worse irritation. I haven't had a bad flare up in about 2-3 months so not sure what I've done recently! Now I only use that if I have a flare up and use aveeno about 20 times a day. Just about to buy "gloves in a bottle" and cotton gloves, to wear under my reusable gloves.

What kind of disposable gloves are you using?. Nitrile is meant to be the best for stopping chemical exposure compared to vinyl. Latex has its own allergy if you use it often enough.

I get them from my dad he's a vet... thy blue in colour :)
And much cheaper then from salon suppliers flip man I can't believe how much they charge for the exact same box of gloves !

Latest posts

Back