Shellac and Gelish together

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update us in due course! Xxxx

This is interesting I would much prefer to use gelish tio as my shellac top coat is horrible to use really gloppy x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is gelish tio a buff off or is it a soak off? I dont use gelish so im curious :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Soak off same as shellac :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I have the exact same problem with my shellac top coat, I go through loads as end up throwing it away as it drives me mad trying to paint with it. Takes me twice as long too! The gelish seemed alot thinner when painting it on (unless that's because its a brand new bottle) was really easy to paint with and my nails feel much stronger and more sturdy. I will report back soon :) xx

Harmony I believe say that you can mix their products with other ranges...and that's ok because Gelish as with most others out there is a gel polish unlike cnd shellac .as you all know.

CND shellac has a unique formula unlike any other for which it and it alone has won in tital 6 patents including one for their lamp....patents are very hard won and are only given for something that is unique and new.

Every day there are threads on here bitching and moaning about NSS , people doing one day courses etc and yet here we are again with people deliberately and consciously ignoring and flaunting manufactures advise which regardless of whether it is for your own use or not is on here visible to all .

Newbies will be confused , messers will be encouraged and trying to educate techs to follow correct procedures and protocols will be more difficult.

If you cannot respect CND's directive to use their system in its complete form why then can you not just use something else ?

Because I have nearly all the shellac colours and prefer them to the gelish colours, it's not doing anyone any harm doing it on ourselves is it?

Plus cnd have said in past that it was okay to use other brands top coat wen they ran out and let's not even go into lampgate! It's not end of world mixing systems and I'm not about to chuck a full system that's cost me hundreds if not thousands down pan just because it doesn't suit me - and judging by this post other geeks too!!

Harmony I believe say that you can mix their products with other ranges...and that's ok because Gelish as with most others out there is a gel polish unlike cnd shellac .as you all know.

CND shellac has a unique formula unlike any other for which it and it alone has won in tital 6 patents including one for their lamp....patents are very hard won and are only given for something that is unique and new.

Every day there are threads on here bitching and moaning about NSS , people doing one day courses etc and yet here we are again with people deliberately and consciously ignoring and flaunting manufactures advise which regardless of whether it is for your own use or not is on here visible to all .

Newbies will be confused , messers will be encouraged and trying to educate techs to follow correct procedures and protocols will be more difficult.

If you cannot respect CND's directive to use their system in its complete form why then can you not just use something else ?

As a 'newbie' I do get confused reading all the different options but absolutely love CND. Having said that, I have had problem clients where shellac peels but I don't want to invest in another brand/range! Interesting reading but So confusing and stressful at times! :Scared: also - I keep seeing the abbreviation NSS & whilst I've worked most others out, not this one! Anyone enlighten me please?! Lol :suprised:

Out of interest can you tell me what you think MAY happen if you use gelish and shellac together ???

When there was a complete shortage of Shellac base and top coats in 2010 from CND, guess what we used? Gelish Foundation and top it off. This went on for a very long time. No body complained about mixing products. CND was also saying that we could have used the Brisa base....

I am certainly not instigating that you should mix products. However, it is all a common sense thing.

Newbie or not, if you use your common sense as a Tech or Therapist, surely you will be working sensibly.

Shellac is not a gel polish, so not everyone is going to get the durability from it. Gelish is a gel polish so the majority of people will get more wear from it.

Saying all of the above, you will more likely to have enquiries about Shellac, as it is a well known product, in comparison to Gelish.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree, clients know shellac colours as well whereas not many people know gelish shades by name. It defo is the best brand, esp for care of the nails.

I love shellac but it just doesn't suit a handful of my clients and myself but il continue to use it and the full cnd system in my salon as well as offer gelish on the side.

I'm gonna continue to do a TIO gelish top coat on myself tho, it's fab! A gelish/shellac cocktail defo way forward for me :) xxxxx

Absolutely agree, clients know shellac colours as well whereas not many people know gelish shades by name. It defo is the best brand, esp for care of the nails.

I love shellac but it just doesn't suit a handful of my clients and myself but il continue to use it and the full cnd system in my salon as well as offer gelish on the side.

I'm gonna continue to do a TIO gelish top coat on myself tho, it's fab! A gelish/shellac cocktail defo way forward for me :) xxxxx

Why do you think it is the best brand esp for care of the nails ??? Application is what cares for nails. Shellac and gelish are virtually the same application, no need to buff nail plate, same cure same prep etc ?

My understanding is that mixing systems is only in an uncured state. If a gel polish has been cured, then you layer a different top coat on top how can that be mixing as it's going on top of a cured layer.

Zero buffing and removal just seems so much kinder, no matter how long I soak I find bits of gelish need extra persuasion to come off whereas shellac can come off no bother!

Zero buffing and removal just seems so much kinder, no matter how long I soak I find bits of gelish need extra persuasion to come off whereas shellac can come off no bother!

Zero buffing for gelish as well tho ? And removal a dream ! Oh well we can't all agree ! X

Shellac and Gelish are different though. I do buff for Gelish. If you are sitting there taking layers off with a 180 grit file, that's madness. Or buffing in all directions! My opinion..... Do what works for you.

I hate removing gelish - shellac far easier! And I only lightly buff nail as per harmony says ;)

Out of curiosity how do u both remove ur gelish so easily? I used to use the pink gelish remover but now just use acetone as didn't notice much difference. I buff top coat, saturate quarter nail pads and wrap with extra strong foil. Have started using heat lamp I got for ibx if client has cold hands to help a bit! Any other tips? Xxxxx

Zero buffing for gelish as well tho ? And removal a dream ! Oh well we can't all agree ! X

Harmony recommends light buffing of nail before cleanse/ph bond/foundation :) I don't always do it if I don't think nails need it tho xxxxx

When there was a complete shortage of Shellac base and top coats in 2010 from CND, guess what we used? Gelish Foundation and top it off. This went on for a very long time. No body complained about mixing products. CND was also saying that we could have used the Brisa base....

I am certainly not instigating that you should mix products. However, it is all a common sense thing.

Newbie or not, if you use your common sense as a Tech or Therapist, surely you will be working sensibly.

Shellac is not a gel polish, so not everyone is going to get the durability from it. Gelish is a gel polish so the majority of people will get more wear from it.

Saying all of the above, you will more likely to have enquiries about Shellac, as it is a well known product, in comparison to Gelish.

Shellac is a gel polish. it is a hybrid gel polish, one that contains gel and solvents as opposed to 100% gel. The problem with mixing is that while Gelish says it's okay to use their base and top coat with all UV gel polishes, CND says it is not okay to mix elements of Shellac with other brands. One manufacturer says yes, the other says no. The way I get around this is to do the complete Shellac mani with the Shellac top coat and then put an extra layer of TIO from Gelish on top. We only do this for clients who aren't getting the wear from Shellac that they want. If that still doesn't work for them, we switch them to Gelish, OPI, IBD or one of our other brands. I find that this gives the durability and acetone resistance that people want but stays within the rules of CND, which is important to the salons I work with because they are CND certified and want to keep that.

I do wish that CND would acknowledge that the gel polish landscape has changed over the past few years and that they would provide guidance for how to use Shellac in concert with other brands (and let's not even get started about the lamp!)

Last edited:
I hate removing gelish - shellac far easier! And I only lightly buff nail as per harmony says ;)

Out of curiosity how do u both remove ur gelish so easily? I used to use the pink gelish remover but now just use acetone as didn't notice much difference. I buff top coat, saturate quarter nail pads and wrap with extra strong foil. Have started using heat lamp I got for ibx if client has cold hands to help a bit! Any other tips? Xxxxx

I just do a quick flick with a file, acetone with cotton wool and foil, make sure the cotton wool is saturated with remover, I only have 1 client that gelish doesn't just slide off and that's because she has a condition that makes her hands really cold. Sorry just re read ! This is what you do anyway !
I used to. Use cotton wool pads but found cotton wool roll better as it seemed to hold more remover X

Latest posts

Back