Shellac and Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traceykate

Reaction score
Hi I am new to all this and am training to become a nail tech but i am comig across new things all the time and my course does not tell me a whole lot really, essential nails course, unless i call and ask but if i never hear about it i cannot ask, anyhow what exactly is shellac and gellish ??:?: i am training in the uv gel at the moment. hope u can help
Thank you xx :)

In a nutshell

Gelish is a soak off gel polish (thin gel that breaks down in acetone) applied like a nail polish except like gel enhancements you have to file the natural nail for best adhesion

Shellac is a hybrid of both uv curing (gel) and solvent evaporation (polish). Basically it's a nail polish that has the best features of gel. No buffing is required on the natural nail and it soaks off in acetone in 10 minutes

Hth's

Thank you muchly for that.I stiill have a lot to learn but i do not get any help on anything in my course, i am just left ti practice the nails and not given anything to learn what all the different products are.
I need to know what all the gel products are what they do and how they work etc but i only seem to get any help here which is great but i really need to know what all the gel products are from nail buffing to top coats, different brands etc. as i asked here about the gelish and that.
Agai thank you so much xx:):)

your welcome

might I suggest getting a copy of Doug Schoons 'nail anatomy & product chemistry - 2nd edition' it is an incredible book that will teach you more than you can imagine

great science and fact based information, written in conversational easy to understand language.

Hi ENVY I have ordered a copy of the couglas schoon book and look forward to receiving it. It was a very expensive book at £30 I never expected that lol.
I really want to learn all about the gels and what they all mean as i keep seeing this gel polish, i presume its a coloured nail polish but is like a gel and you have to cure it, but do you put false tips on first ??? and i do not know any of this as i do not get the help or explanations that i need from my course people. I have only sent in one lot of nails to be marked up to see how iam getting on on and now they want me to send in nails that i do for my examination to see if i get a certificate or not but i feel its too early to have my examination nails, i think i will fail. I really do not know whaat to do as this cost me nearly £600.
Thank you very much for your ear lol.
Tracey xx:D

hey chick, firstly - deep breath... beginners course do not expect to see professional quality nails at examination.... they expect to see a good start and that your heading in the right direction

basic training is only the very first course you will do... I would recommend courses every year or so for any tech, there is more to learn (and it constantly changes)
The day you stop learning & training is the day you stop getting better...

Doug's book is invaluable - you will love it, worth every penny...

Shellac - think of it as nail polish that lasts incredibly, not an extension product. There are many other gel products designed for this (such as BRiSA gel by CND)
The trend at the moment is gel polish, which is aimed at clients who want long lasting polish - not extensions.

Happy to help

Latest posts

Back