Shellac base coat brush weirdness!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurasnowwhite

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I was shellacing a clients nails today with a newish bottle of base coat (4uses).

I had done a thorough PEP and scrubfreshed well. I began applying the base coat and it was all fine until I got to the 3rd nail and the brush went really weird!! Suddenly went really stiff and splayed out and was just useless to use. I tried cleaning the brush with some d-solve but it didn't make any difference.

In the end I had to take the brush out and just apply the base coat with a nail art brush. Now I'm worried that the brush will affect the bottle of base coat. Ther product was absolutely fine and not thick at all, the brush just seemed to seize up.

Any clues?

Lx

Was the sun shining in the window by any chance, or is it possible your brush was near the mouth of the lamp?

If it was perfect for a couple of nails and then seized up, it sounds like the product cured on the brush.

It was a lovely sunny morning.

Bugger!! Do you think if I soaked my brush in acetone it might fix it? Maybe a wipe over wasn't good enough.

This happened to me once and like Angel said it was when the sun came through the window when it started seizing up

Bugger!! Do you think if I soaked my brush in acetone it might fix it? Maybe a wipe over wasn't good enough.

It might be too late to save it I'm afraid... do you have a brush from an old bottle that you could swap it with?

blooming heck no ......... its only a plastic brush dont put it in acetone !

i have found my MOP , and both VIP gold and silver the brushes wear slightly cured ,
I took a lint free pad , put some d sperse on it , folded over the brush and pinched and gently pulled off all product and the cured bits off the brush , you might need to do it once or twice the bristles will smooth to flat and then load it back up with Shellac and put the lid back on leave it till next time .

I don't have a spare, it's my first bottle.

How annoying!! My client only has a conservatory where we can sit, the light is brilliant but today was the first day it was truly sunny!!

I'll have to forgo one of the new shellac colours at the show and buy another base coat now :-(

Thanks for your help ladies.

This is a good idea...to save brushes from older bottles. Some of our brushes have gone a bit wonky...almost like they're one solid, hard piece.

When the sun comes around in the late afternoon, it blasts straight through the window onto my desk. It's horrible.

Think I'll start saving the good ones.

If you must be outside, or in direct light, you might consider making some sort of tent to cover her hands?

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back