Shellac chipping, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reebe87

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having problems with shellac chipping on a couple of clients and really not sure what else I can do? I do all the nail prep pally the base coat thinly? Is there any other product I can use to prevent this? One of my clients nails do peel but not the other client? My friend who does shellac applies it more thickly do you think this helps? Does anyone recommend a gel polish that is slightly stronger for them clients that shellac doesn't work for?
Many Thanks

The following can cause chipping:

1. Improper techniques and procedures.
2. Client uses their nails too roughly.
3. Client's nails may be too thin.

Thank you for our reply. Yes she has thin nails do you know anything instead I could offer her other than shellac or use the IBX?

The Gel Bottle rubber base, rubber top coat xx

Thank you for our reply. Yes she has thin nails do you know anything instead I could offer her other than shellac or use the IBX?

Its a rather complicated subject. Most people just don't know how to do gels properly.

So for clients with thin nails, you should try the gel on them so that you can make the money but let them know ahead of time that gels may not last 14 days for them since there are many factors that leads to chipping. After the 14 days, see how well the gel held up. If bad, use OPI infinite shine. This is a regular polish that last 7 days. So if shellac is $30, you can charge $24 for a manicure with infinite shine. With infinite shine, you save a lot of time because Shellac is very difficult to come off and you have to make it last 14 days. The key is to keep the promise that you are making if you want a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
I don't appreciate your rude reply I'm new to doing shellac so was looking if I can offer her something underneath to prevent this from happening.

I don't appreciate your rude reply I'm new to doing shellac so was looking if I can offer her something underneath to prevent this from happening.

Don’t be offended, I don’t think the reply was rude, I think you have just read it wrong! I think they were just trying to help and point out about it lasting 14 days, you know what clients can be like if it states it lasts 14 days they expect it to even if they don’t look after them lol!

I know that you’re not supposed to use anything under shellac, however I am currently using the candy coat gel polish which I love as it is more affordable for me atm as I’m just starting out again and I also use shellac but only have a few colours along with their own base and top coat. I have got the opi ph bond which deyhdrates the nail and on my sister I used that before applying her shellac and so far it has lasted 8 days with no chips and she isn’t great at looking after her nails at all! I am also just getting back into nails so I’m not great at the moment!

Where are the nails chipping? Do you cap the nails first or last? I cap first now on each coat and at very very thinly! I don’t think it would work applying thick as if your clients are pickers they could potentialy pick at it easier!
So maybe try buying the opi ph bond? It’s only £6 from salon services xx

Hope this helps xxx

Yes this has helped a lot thank you so much. Yes I speacilise in skincare but want to start getting into nails again as I have lots of requests and I am a perfectionist and starting to wonder if it is me, I cap the first of every coat I do but not the second colour maybe I shall try this. They are chipping at the corners but I know they are her nails as they do peel but wondered if there was anything that would be ok on peeling nails. You start to doubt yourself. I will have a little look at the OPI thank you. My friend who is a nail tech she swear by the IBX boost under her shellac and Geleration so could be worth having a look into. Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate it probally me reading it wrong

What's this product?
A company called The Gel Bottle, they do extremely hard wearing rubber base and top coat for clients with thin, bendy, weak nails - designed to last 4 weeks - they also have an amazing product called BIAB (Google for info..) - it's a game changer. Photo attached for you to get an idea
Screenshot_20180713-074655_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

If client has problem with time lasting you can try to prime nail 2 time before application with Gel. If the nail is too flexible and not strong you can advice client that because of weakness in natural nail she have problem lifting and can offer a natural nail gel overlay with the gel polish and advice her this will add strength to nail so her nail not bend and risk her polish not last.

Latest posts

Back