Shellac chipping on acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
Did my nails last week but my shellac is really chipping on the acrylic free edge and I don't know why?? I capped the free edge so I know it's not that.. could it be my shellac was too thick, it is a new colour (tinted love) and it basically covered in one coat but did two as I always do. I'm new to acrylics so unsure what I have done wrong?? can anyone help? Thanks :) x

Attachments

• 20160607_191635.jpg
    20160607_191635.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 132
Should also add I'm fully trained in shellac and have done it for years but new to applying it on acrylics! Thanks x

Should also add I'm fully trained in shellac and have done it for years but new to applying it on acrylics! Thanks x
Hi
I've just done an acrylics course and my tutor said there was no benefit to using shellac on acrylics as standard nail polish when applied correctly will last on acrylics - she's been in the industry over 30 years
Also remember shellac was designed for use on natural nails for people who wanted durability but not the harshness of acrylic over their natural nails x

Emma Your reply makes no sense logically speaking .

Anyhow Lorrainiac this is common with any gel polish over acrylics as the wear off per say is down to each client and how they use their nails. I do however think your acrylic is applied too thick to be honest they not meant to be thicker then a credit card thickness which could also be why wear off is faster on this set.
The colour I usually apply and just before curing I run my finger or brush across free edge to wipe the colour from the tip but apply the topcoat all way over. So colours isn't as intense and less likely to chip as buildup of product is less so when client bumps range free edge there less to come off.

Try this again on yourself but try making acrylic thinner and then apply your gel polish and see if that helps

Emma Your reply makes no sense logically speaking .

Anyhow Lorrainiac this is common with any gel polish over acrylics as the wear off per say is down to each client and how they use their nails. I do however think your acrylic is applied too thick to be honest they not meant to be thicker then a credit card thickness which could also be why wear off is faster on this set.
The colour I usually apply and just before curing I run my finger or brush across free edge to wipe the colour from the tip but apply the topcoat all way over. So colours isn't as intense and less likely to chip as buildup of product is less so when client bumps range free edge there less to come off.

Try this again on yourself but try making acrylic thinner and then apply your gel polish and see if that helps

All I was pointing out is shellac was originally designed for use on natural nails for people who don't want false/acrylic nails. However when used on acrylics remember you don't need a base coat just buff the acrylic nail slightly first so the colour adheres - sorry if I make no sense only trying to help

Cool beans cos it sounded like you saying can't be used on acrylic . Tx for the reply x

Latest posts

Back