Shellac cracking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
Hi geeks I did my own nails 2 weeks ago with shellac (after pulling off my enhancements leaving my nails quite weak) and I've noticed there are cracks in the free edge part of the nails. I'm shellac certified and use all cnd products and solar oil twice daily, do you think it's me being heavy handed with them? Thanks x

Mine sometimes crack but this is because my natural nail is not very strong and will bend causing the shellac to crack, this usually happens approx 7-10 days with me when my nails have grown a little. Xx

When i first took my acrylics off the same happened with my shellac. I think its because they are abit soft and bend. I persevered with the shellac though keeping my nails short and now they last me 3 weeks.

(after pulling off my enhancements leaving my nails quite weak)x

This is the problem here.

As a beauty therapist of 6 years I can't believe you did this!! :eek:

You'll have caused a lot of damage which is going to take months to grow out and you may have problems with your Shellac until the strong healthy (undamaged) part of your nail has grown up to the free edge.

When i first took my acrylics off the same happened with my shellac. I think its because they are abit soft and bend. I persevered with the shellac though keeping my nails short and now they last me 3 weeks.

DIdn't mean to heart this - meant to click on quote!

Did you soak yours off or "take" them off the same way as sarahhh123?

Perhaps you could try using fibreglass under the shellac basecoat as shown by the fingernailfixer on you tube, ive used this for repairs and it works really well, might just give you that extra strength you need whilst the damage grows out. Hth x

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

My opinion is do nothing but Shellac until the weaker nail is replaced by natural strong healthy nail. Using fibreglass or any other nail enhancing product will only cause further damage because of the buffing of the natural nail, which we avoid doing with Shellac.

The method is simple. Keep your nails short and regularly filed to remove the weak part of the nails until they grow out. Your nails will always look well-groomed while growing and will stay looking that way if you care for them, use your Solar Oil and not pick off your Shellac. In about 2 months your nails will be healthy and as strong as they ever were naturally, with just using Shellac.

This is the problem here.

As a beauty therapist of 6 years I can't believe you did this!! :eek:

You'll have caused a lot of damage which is going to take months to grow out and you may have problems with your Shellac until the strong healthy (undamaged) part of your nail has grown up to the free edge.

I know I'm stupid! Ill just persevere with them then! Woops xx

My opinion is do nothing but Shellac until the weaker nail is replaced by natural strong healthy nail. Using fibreglass or any other nail enhancing product will only cause further damage because of the buffing of the natural nail, which we avoid doing with Shellac.

The method is simple. Keep your nails short and regularly filed to remove the weak part of the nails until they grow out. Your nails will always look well-groomed while growing and will stay looking that way if you care for them, use your Solar Oil and not pick off your Shellac. In about 2 months your nails will be healthy and as strong as they ever were naturally, with just using Shellac.

Sorry Geeg, thought this would be ok for damaged nails, as in Holly's video she only uses cuticle away, then scrubfresh, before placing on the fibreglass mesh, then straight into usual shellac application. No actual buffing to the natural nail. Is this not ok practice then on weak nails?

Sorry Geeg, thought this would be ok for damaged nails, as in Holly's video she only uses cuticle away, then scrubfresh, before placing on the fibreglass mesh, then straight into usual shellac application. No actual buffing to the natural nail. Is this not ok practice then on weak nails?

With no buffing there would be no damage so OK to do ... I don't do it as I prefer the client to commit to 'short and sweet' and a 2-3 month re-growth effort to get their nails back to a normal healthy state without the aid of enhancement products. It's more economical for the client, less faffing about for me, and it works.

With no buffing there would be no damage so OK to do ... I don't do it as I prefer the client to commit to 'short and sweet' and a 2-3 month re-growth effort to get their nails back to a normal healthy state without the aid of enhancement products. It's more economical for the client, less faffing about for me, and it works.

Yes that def makes sense, thanks for clarifying. X

Latest posts

Back