Shellac - don't know where I'm going wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahl87

Reaction score
Morning ladies

I'm getting myself in such a state re Shellac manicures. None of my clients are getting 2 weeks wear from my application, they are all chipping in some way.

I qualified as a beauty therapist about 7 years ago but am new to gel manicures.

Heres my routine, I use all CND products from Sweet Squared including the lamp.

File and cuticle work with cuticle away
Clean cuticle away off with water and lint free pad
Scrubfresh Nail and free edge
Thin basecoat (capping free edge) cure
1st colour coat (capping free edge) cure
2nd colour coat cure
Express 5 Top coat (capping free edge) cure
Wipe over with dsperse
Oil

Ive been through the search function on here time and time again and taken on all the advice I have seen but it's starting to get me down. Feel like I'm going to have to give up as it's getting quite embarrassing [emoji17]

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated

X

I would change your express top coat to either the original top coat or the new duraforce top coat, I got chipping when I used the Express top coat

Morning ladies

I'm getting myself in such a state re Shellac manicures. None of my clients are getting 2 weeks wear from my application, they are all chipping in some way.

I qualified as a beauty therapist about 7 years ago but am new to gel manicures.

2nd colour coat cure
Wipe over with dsperse
Oil

Ive been through the search function on here time and time again and taken on all the advice I have seen but it's starting to get me down. Feel like I'm going to have to give up as it's getting quite embarrassing [emoji17]

X
Hello,

I was in a similar position! None of my clients were getting 2 weeks wear including myself! I have just purchased the new Duraforce and it has made such a difference! I would highly reccommend this!

I have improved over time so I think the more you do the better you become. Try the Durafore and I'm sure you will see some improvement.
Mine often lift at the free edge even though I'm capping it - I put a post on here a couple of days ago which recieved some advice, might be helpful to have a look? Hope the Duracforce works for you too :) Dont be put off from doing them, we'll get there in the end!!!

I would change your express top coat to either the original top coat or the new duraforce top coat, I got chipping when I used the Express top coat

Thank you. I ordered the original top coat by accident instead of express and used it on two clients yesterday so will see how they goes

Hi Sarah,

Have you done the conversion course yet? :)

Do you have any pictures of the nails you've done, if so could you post them for me to see :)

If you haven't try take 3 photos of your next manicure, one from about one from the side and one down the barrel of the nail and I will do my best to help you sort this out :)

What is the condition of your clients nails?

Morning ladies

2nd colour coat cure
Wipe over with dsperse
Oil

X
Are you just using water to remove the cuticle away? It should be deactivated with soap and water. Put some liquid soap in a spray bottle with water.
Have you done the Shellac course? If not, you will find it beneficial.
Just keep persevering, you will get there.

Have you tried dry cuticle work? When I first did my CND training for Shellac, it was dry, then it changed to wet including Cuticle Away, then it went back to dry (from what I've read on here from those doing more recent courses). I have found for those with thin nails dry cuticle work is better. I do a full Cuticle Away PEP every 2/3 appointment if the cuticle area is getting unruly again. But those who use their solar oil reguarly are super easy to dry do

Hello,

I was in a similar position! None of my clients were getting 2 weeks wear including myself! I have just purchased the new Duraforce and it has made such a difference! I would highly reccommend this!

I have improved over time so I think the more you do the better you become. Try the Durafore and I'm sure you will see some improvement.
Mine often lift at the free edge even though I'm capping it - I put a post on here a couple of days ago which recieved some advice, might be helpful to have a look? Hope the Duracforce works for you too :) Dont be put off from doing them, we'll get there in the end!!!

Thank you for your advice, I'll have a look for your post too.

It's so disheartening isn't it [emoji17] like you sat though we've just got to keep going

Hi Sarah,

Have you done the conversion course yet? :)

Do you have any pictures of the nails you've done, if so could you post them for me to see :)

If you haven't try take 3 photos of your next manicure, one from about one from the side and one down the barrel of the nail and I will do my best to help you sort this out :)

What is the condition of your clients nails?

Hiya

The next conversion course near me isn't until April but hoping to get booked onto it.

I do have pictures but they aren't very close up (I've attached one) I'll take some more detailed pictures on my next lady.

All sorts of nails really, most have been normal and in good condition. A couple I have done have been weaker and a bit flakey.

Thank you for your help x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487248166.524365.jpg

Are you just using water to remove the cuticle away? It should be deactivated with soap and water. Put some liquid soap in a spray bottle with water.
Have you done the Shellac course? If not, you will find it beneficial.
Just keep persevering, you will get there.

Just water at the moment but I will add some soap from now on, thank you

I went on a genetic gel course but am hoping to do the conversion soon x

Have you tried dry cuticle work? When I first did my CND training for Shellac, it was dry, then it changed to wet including Cuticle Away, then it went back to dry (from what I've read on here from those doing more recent courses). I have found for those with thin nails dry cuticle work is better. I do a full Cuticle Away PEP every 2/3 appointment if the cuticle area is getting unruly again. But those who use their solar oil reguarly are super easy to dry do

No I've not tried dry yet, I've been using cuticle away each time even when I'm re doing the shellac.

I'm giving out a mini solar oil to each new client so I'll try to do dry cuticle work when they come back.

Thank you x

You application looks quite thick, you need to apply your layers thinly.

Also I can see you haven't capped the edges with colour, I can only see the thumb, and the tip of the nails looks a little bulbous , I think you are overcapping the nail with top coat which will cause chipping and lifting.

Youtube CND 5 point polish method, it will help you with all the above problems :)

Also if the nails are flaking, the will take the shellac off with it and there is nothing you can do about this apart from keep the nails short and warn your client due to the condition of their nails they may not get a full 2 weeks from it :)

On my gel overlay course we did the cuticle work dry and also removed the surface shine of the nail with a 240grit file for better adhesion.

You application looks quite thick, you need to apply your layers thinly.

Also I can see you haven't capped the edges with colour, I can only see the thumb, and the tip of the nails looks a little bulbous , I think you are overcapping the nail with top coat which will cause chipping and lifting.

Youtube CND 5 point polish method, it will help you with all the above problems :)

Also if the nails are flaking, the will take the shellac off with it and there is nothing you can do about this apart from keep the nails short and warn your client due to the condition of their nails they may not get a full 2 weeks from it :)

I've just started using the 5 point system this week after finding on a search on here. I did use it on the above nails but I can see what you mean about the thickness/capping.

My 1st coat is always thin (can see through it) but I think I must be going too thick with the 2nd.

I do have trouble getting the top coat thin? It seems to drag on the corners/ends if I go too thin?

Thank you for your help [emoji4]

I've just started using the 5 point system this week after finding on a search on here. I did use it on the above nails but I can see what you mean about the thickness/capping.

My 1st coat is always thin (can see through it) but I think I must be going too thick with the 2nd.

I do have trouble getting the top coat thin? It seems to drag on the corners/ends if I go too thin?

Thank you for your help [emoji4]

The top coat is applied thicker than the colour coats , if its dragging then its too thin :) Just make sure you are shaking your bottle thoroughly before every use as otherwise they will go thick and you won't be able to apply your layers thin enough.

Cap your free edge with topcoat first , then do the top and this should eliminate the bulbous tip :)

On my gel overlay course we did the cuticle work dry and also removed the surface shine of the nail with a 240grit file for better adhesion.
With Shellac there is no need to buff the natural nail :)

With Shellac there is no need to buff the natural nail :)
If it helps with adhesion and prevents the shellac lifting and chipping, maybe it's worth trying?

If it helps with adhesion and prevents the shellac lifting and chipping, maybe it's worth trying?

This will lead to thinning of the nail plate which will cause problems later, CND specifically teach and advise no buffing prior to application.

One of the best selling points imo is the fact that there is zero damage to the natural nail. Correct pep and application are all that is required.

Thank you for all your help today ladies, you've made me feel so much better, I will be taking on all of your advice.

Also booking the conversion course 1st thing in the morning [emoji4] I can't wait!

xx

Latest posts

Back