Shellac - foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Iv just watched a video on You Tube, is it true that after applying foil adhesive over cured Shellac, the adhesive sets better or quicker when placed inside the uv lamp for 2 mins ?

I can get my foils to stick on the tacky layer of Shellac, but I never get full coverage , would this help ?

Hi ladies

Iv just watched a video on You Tube, is it true that after applying foil adhesive over cured Shellac, the adhesive sets better or quicker when placed inside the uv lamp for 2 mins ?

I can get my foils to stick on the tacky layer of Shellac, but I never get full coverage , would this help ?

I've seen the same video too, and no, UV Rays have no effect on foil adhesive, most likely a placebo effect.. Where after the 2 minutes "cure" time just happens to be an ideal time for the adhesive to air dry and become tacky enough for the transfer foils (the key been the time and not the light) :)

I've seen the same video too, and no, UV Rays have no effect on foil adhesive, most likely a placebo effect.. Where after the 2 minutes "cure" time just happens to be an ideal time for the adhesive to air dry and become tacky enough for the transfer foils (the key been the time and not the light) :)

This is what I thought, I was just checking I'm not missing something! Does everyone just use the tacky layer or do you use the adhesive over the Shellac for the foils?

Normally I use the tacky layer of Shellac with transfer foil. I find the darker the colour, the better the adhesion.

These were done over Black Pool tacky layer xxx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412240654.108948.jpg

Normally I use the tacky layer of Shellac with transfer foil. I find the darker the colour, the better the adhesion.

These were done over Black Pool tacky layer xxx

View attachment 75941

Beautiful :) I take it the foil you buy is from S2? What camera app are you using to put that twinkle effect on?

I've tried loads of methods and find using the lamp works better, maybe the heat has something to do with it?

Hi all, really want to try foils as they look fab!! Few questions on the process tho...
Do you still use an adhesive when apply with shellac or just use the tacky layer to stick it to? Do you apply base and 2colour coats first or just 1colour coat? Do you apply top coat straight after applying the foils and then cure?
Do you remove these in the normal way? Xx

I apply base, 2 colour coats and then foil to tacky layer. I apply top coat straight after applying the foils. I have noticed a crackling of foil but I still like the effect.

If you use adhesive you get better coverage, the darker colours are slightly more tacky than the lights, so you may find you don't need it but I always use it.

I've just started playing with Gel II which has next to no tacky layer on the colours I've tried so far so have bought some foil adhesive and was thoroughly vexed asking whether to cure and if it could be cured under LED.

So, I just need to apply a thin layer over my second colour layer, wIt for a couple of minutes until it goes clear, apply foil and then topcoat?

Sarah r (TheRealMrsGrey) has a fantastic video on YouTube about foil application using adhesive. Should answer all Ur questions :) I see she has posted a reply above. Her videos are amazing!!

I've just started playing with Gel II which has next to no tacky layer on the colours I've tried so far so have bought some foil adhesive and was thoroughly vexed asking whether to cure and if it could be cured under LED.

So, I just need to apply a thin layer over my second colour layer, wIt for a couple of minutes until it goes clear, apply foil and then topcoat?
Hiya, I have applied foil over Gel II with great success using my CND lamp.

I watched this video on you tube, followed instructions and voila! Really pleased with result.

http://youtu.be/gH6voPuumOE

HTH x

Thank you. I will give that a look tomorrow. 😊

Latest posts

Back