Shellac for Massage Therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I've been asked by a massage therapist if Shellac would be a good option for her as she misses wearing colour. I feel that if it's a good application that there shouldn't be any flaking and a minimal risk for harbouring bacteria... am I right to advise her this?

Are there any massage therapists reading this that can shed some light? Does massage oil impact the wearability of Shellac?

Thanks!

I do mainly massages at work and at the moment I just have base and top coat on to give my nails a nice shine and they have been fine. I have a friend who is a hairdresser and had a colour on her nails and they were good too, no chipping or flaking etc and she uses a lot more harsher chemicals than I do.

The only reason I dont have a colour on mine is because I also work in a salon and they don't like their therapists to wear varnish so I don't either.

HTH's x

I would think that the oil is more likely do your nails more good than harm.
My nails are shortish and I wear Shellac, do massage treatments (using oil) and it lasts 10 days minimum on me.

I personally never wear a colour when massaging as my nails have to be super short and it doesn't look good on me as I have tiny nails not to mention the bacteria side etc. It was severely frowned upon when I was training and I have just stayed with it. Saying that massage is more medical orientated in the states so that is the 'obsession" with some for the bacteria angle.

I personally wouldn't like my therapist to wear polish either but without meaning to be rude would your average client know why and would they know the difference between regular polish and Shellac, some may be put of, others wouldn't give a toss. So I do understand where this particular therapist is going with the Shellac angle and I don't imagine there would be issues from a chipping point of view so if she wants to do it it from your point of view why not?

Just my tuppence worth:)

Last edited:
Tons of massage therapists have some kind of gel overlays on their nails these days. It's not uncommon at all and shouldn't cause any problems if applied properly.

I am a MT and wear Shellac on my nails all the time. It's a great option for those of us who want nice nails :)

the main reason alot of massage therapists dont wear varnish is due to risk of allergic reaction?? its unlikely but always better safe than sorry!

Shellac is hypoallergenic so is a great option for a massage therapist. Im currently studying swedish massage and am allowed to wear it.:)

Latest posts

Back