Shellac & hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princessamie

Reaction score
I have a client who is a hairdresser and her last Shellac Mani only lasted around 5/6 days.

I don't have issues with it lasting on other clients so I know my PEP and application isn't to blame, at least I hope not.

Is there anything I can do to help the longevity of Shellac on a hairdressers nails? She admits her job is hard on her hands but I would've thought she'd get at least 10 days out of it.

I work as a nail tech in a hair salon, so I do the girls' working there nails. Their shellac many times (when there is a lot of work) lasts 7-8 days without starting to lift from their tips. I believe No1 reason is too much water soaking for washing customers hair.
Smoothing gel did help a lot expanding it to 12-14 days or something.

I also have a customer who is a friend of mine too, who has such a problem with hand sweating that her shellac lasted 4!!!!!! Days. I did the same pep with all my other clients. Maybe I will try on her smoothingg gel alongside with shellac sometime. There are some women that seem to cannot be able to keep a product on their nails....

I work in a hair salon and you'd be amazed at how many stylists do not wear gloves when shampooing, colouring, perming etc. So not only are they exposing their nails to various chemicals they are also constantly getting them wet, not drying them and not oiling them. The stylists in our salon are lucky to get a week from their nails, so I'm thinking it's just a job thing, nothing you are doing or can do to prevent this. Clients also have to take a responsibility !!

I'm a hairdresser and have been for 10 years. I've had shellac on my nails many times over the last 2 years and now do my own after doing a CND Shellac course. Mine always lasts between 12 and 14 days. I just always make sure all my edges are well sealed and use the solar oil twice a day. Hope this helps x

Thanks all!

She fully admits that it's most likely her job that's causing the breakdown, I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help it last that little bit longer.

I'll definitely try and spend a bit of time getting the top coat fully sealed. Maybe a double top coat, keeping it nice and thin obviously. I'll also look into getting some smoothing gel too.

She does know she should be oiling twice per day (although I did mention she may need to do it more often) but, whether she's been doing it, I'll never know.

I want to try and keep her as a client, I appreciate people not wanting to pay for something that doesn't last too long, so any tips are gratefully received :)

I work as a nail tech in a hair salon and the girls get at least 3 weeks (although usually get bored of colour after 2 lol).. Ok now to tell you why.. I'm going to be absolutely SHOT on this forum for admitting this, I feel like I'm about to admit to murdering someone but I DONT USE THE SHELLAC TOP COAT ON THEM. Yep there it is, I MIX SYSTEMS.. Ooooh I'm such a bad person (not). I use the Gellux Top Coat on them with CND shellac base & colours. That's how they get 3 weeks. They don't use gloves or solar oil or do anything fancy (I've tried getting them to but gave up so switched to gellux top coat).

So bring on the replies condemning me for mixing systems, I know CND say to only use CND products but sorry my work is living proof that's a load of b*******.

Thanks for your reply.

I won't be mixing systems because of my insurance but it's handy to know.

I will maybe look into stocking another system for 'problem' clients.

When I was training to be a hairdresser my shellac would last about 8 to 10 days and would chip slightly. And i was constantly washing up/shampooing all day. She must be very heavy handed.

Sarah xo

I find ibx helps my shellac last, I've not used the brisa underneath lately x

Sent from my XT1039 using SalonGeek mobile app

Try two top coats for hairdressers, usually does the trick x

Thanks for your reply.

I won't be mixing systems because of my insurance but it's handy to know.

I will maybe look into stocking another system for 'problem' clients.

I only mix it on them because they're not clients but if yours are paying clients then that could be an issue alright!

Im not sure my post will be help or not. I use OPI, my client is hairdresser too but her nails stay for month till last time her nails have problem after done her nail about 2-3 hr her index nail peeling off. I thought she might work alot so redo her again then peeling off again.I kinda stress a little bit but I done her nails to many time and stay pretty good. I find out the importance thing that base coat start chunky and thick I change new bottle and her nails so goood.
my tricks - base coat have to be watering no chunky
- color step apply thin coat for two coat but I paint two finger nails then curing switch to the other hand paint two fingerd till done.
- top coat step

color cant be thick because make they crack or chip easy.

Oh, another thought came up to me right now. If she is coming to you after her work, her hands might be ALREADY too much soaked from water. It might take hours for her nails to come to a dry condition. Having her keep hands from soaking some hours before her nails appointment and using the cnd Brisa lite smoothing gel might help a lot!

Oh, another thought came up to me right now. If she is coming to you after her work, her hands might be ALREADY too much soaked from water. It might take hours for her nails to come to a dry condition. Having her keep hands from soaking some hours before her nails appointment and using the cnd Brisa lite smoothing gel might help a lot!

Thank you, that's a very good point.
She had her appt on a Monday which was her day off and I doubt she'd have worked the Sunday so it may not be that this time but I'll definitely point it out to her for the future! That didn't even cross my mind :-/

Latest posts

Back