Shellac hit & miss results

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieSparkle

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been doing Shellac a little while and have been doing well so far.
I have got all the correct products, and follow the procedures to a T.
I have had 50/50 results.
I have it on myself and its lasted brilliantly, even though my own nails are terrible.
However, 2 people, who happen to be friends, it only lasted a week. Both have assured my that they wore gloves for cleaning and have really looked after them etc, but they peeled completely.
Step by step this is what i do:
1) sanitize hands
2) file & shape nails
3) cuticle away and remove cuticle
4) wipe over with a flannel with soap and warm water to remove product
5) dry hands thoroughly
6) scrub fresh each nail thoroughly
7) apply base coat - cure 10 seconds
8)apply 2 colour coats, curing each for 2 mins
9)apply top coat, cure 2 mins, each coat is swipped over the free edge to seal.
10) use Dsperse to remove inhibition layer
11) apply solar oil

My current lamp is not the CND lamp, i now have one on order to see if this corrects my issue... fingers crossed it will.
I am gutted!

Can anyone see any glaring errors apart form my lamp?
XX
12) apply handcream

Apart from the wrong lamp (you do need the CND one to cure properly) it could be a number of things. What condition are your friends nails in? Are they weak or peeling? Are you applying it too thickly? This sometimes causes peeling. Two thin coats of colour and float over with your top coat.You don't say where it peels from, free edge or cuticle. You may not be neutralising the cuticle away properly, or capping the free edge sufficiently. Sometimes it needs more than a swipe I've found, especially if nails are short. It could also be them of course. Picking at labels etc will almost certainly cause Shellac to lift. Just a few ideas for starters!

It may just be your lamp, where are you buying your polishes from?

I spoke to an advisor at sweet squared earlier about lamps and they said you can use your own 36w lamp which is the correct wattage etc but they would only ever recommend the CND one as you do not know the uv output on other lamps and that's what makes the product perform correctly.
They can't guarantee their product will work perfectly unless u use their lamp as only the CND lamp for definite has the 36w with the correct UV output to make the product work in the correct way.
No lamp u buy including the CNd one will tell you the UV output either so the only way is to buy their lamp I guess as u cannot match it x

Also the process u have carried out is 100% correct according To CND step by step...so unless ur friends nails weren't perhaps prepped correctly, the only other thing I can think is that u applied the layers too think, I had that once and it just peeled right off xx

They both peeled from the free edge, I have a feeling perhaps j was applying to thick, as both of their nails were in good condition, no peeling etc.
I have offered to Re do them for free and will see how they go.
The lamp j use is a 36watt and fairly new, only hard it about 3 months and not used overly as only really been going a month.
I get my stuff from ellisons...

Hopefully the lamp will fix the issue and I will triple check I don't apply too thick. Usually the first layer of colour is thin enough to see the nail underneath still very slightly and the second coat makes it a solid cover... I have asked a friend who is very experienced and she can't see what's wrong... I'm meticulous with preparing the nail and always recommend appropriate aftercare. I suppose one must take someone's word for it when they say they are looking after them properly. I am just very disappointed and slightly embarrassed as they were friends who paid me :-/ xx

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I am glad you have put this I've been doing shellac for a while but I had a customer who I haven't had success with they've peeled she says her nails peel could this be why. I use the shellac lamp and do much the same prep as Jessica sparkles still unsure as to why and wondering if this customer is just not suited to shellac :)

I am glad you have put this I've been doing shellac for a while but I had a customer who I haven't had success with they've peeled she says her nails peel could this be why. I use the shellac lamp and do much the same prep as Jessica sparkles still unsure as to why and wondering if this customer is just not suited to shellac :)

My nails are very peely as a result of having my little boy and I have been feeding him myself and he is literally sucking all the goodness outta me! He has lovely, ultra fast growing strong nails and hair, where as my nails and hair are a disaster! But my shellac lasts well... Usually 10-14 days on my bad nails and until I remove is in my normal nails...

It's really dented my confidence but I will get there I have done several people now and all apart from these 2 have been over the moon. Need to stay positive, especially now I have just bought the cnd lamp... Haha xx

Before I had my CND lamp I used a cheapie one but cured the base coat for 2 mins as well as the other coats, and never had a problem but you could tell it wasn't as hard as it should have been (good job it was only on my nails).

However, since having my CND lamp, 2 mins on the cnd lamp and 2 mins on my old lamp are about 20 secs adrift.... the old lamp does not do a full 2 mins despite having a 2 min timer on it, so that may be another reason? The CND lamp is brilliant

If you did not have the CND lamp then you were not doing the CND procedure.
CND stipulate you must use either the CND lamp or the old Brisa Lamp.

If you haven't already I would recommend reading the UV products sticky thread as it will explain to you why you have been having problems and the possible long term risks.

There was a lady in consumer queries just this week whose nail tech had been using a non cnd lamp but all the other products correctly and she had developed an allergy.

People may tell you they had success using non branded lamps but unless they are scientists with access to a laboratory they can not know for sure as gel looks/feels cured at only 40-60%.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/172609-uv-product-summary.html

If you are still having problems after using the new lamp, you may need to look at the underlying nail condition and whether extra strength is required. Aftercare can be a factor but seems like you have that covered.

Your procedure all looks correct, ensure you are using the correct amount of scrub fresh (the nail should not be left wet) and that is is throughly worked into the whole nail and over the free edge.

If you did not have the CND lamp then you were not doing the CND procedure.
CND stipulate you must use either the CND lamp or the old Brisa Lamp.

If you haven't already I would recommend reading the UV products sticky thread as it will explain to you why you have been having problems and the possible long term risks.

There was a lady in consumer queries just this week whose nail tech had been using a non cnd lamp but all the other products correctly and she had developed an allergy.

People may tell you they had success using non branded lamps but unless they are scientists with access to a laboratory they can not know for sure as gel looks/feels cured at only 40-60%.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/172609-uv-product-summary.html

If you are still having problems after using the new lamp, you may need to look at the underlying nail condition and whether extra strength is required. Aftercare can be a factor but seems like you have that covered.

Your procedure all looks correct, ensure you are using the correct amount of scrub fresh (the nail should not be left wet) and that is is throughly worked into the whole nail and over the free edge.

Thank you, I have read the sticky and am hopeful the correct lamp will solve my issue.
Thanks again all, for all your advice x

Latest posts

Back