Shellac lifting at free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssyse

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the site and I'm in need of a bit of advice. I have recently began using shellac and have had great feedback from my clients but today I received a message from one saying that her shellac had begun to peel at the free edge.

It looks like it has lifted in pictures I had asked her to send me but she says it is only happening on her right hand and on the middle and ring fingers only. I give each client aftercare advice recommending them to use solar oil and wear gloves when cleaning or washing up etc.

I also only use CND products purchased from sweet squared and have their uv lamp too. This is the first time I have experienced this on a client, where could I possibly be going wrong? I have made sure my application and pep is correct as well as really making sure that my clients try to stick to my aftercare advice.

Normally lifting at the free edge is due to not being capped properly?! Make sure you cap the edge with each coat. :)

If its just on one or two fingers could it be the client? Has she maybe picked at a label or something and lifted it (especially if its her dominant hand)? How long had they been on when it lifted? xx

Thank you for the advice, I will make sure I am definitely capping the free edge in future! They had been on for a week and it has only happened on her dominant hand literally on two fingers she says that she has followed all aftercare advice but I haven't had any other complaints about peeling/lifting.

It might be too thick, perhaps just getting near end of bottle

I don't work with cnd so not sure how long they're guaranteed for but with mine I tell my clients they're guaranteed a week after that its how you look after them is how much longer they will last as after a week they start to loose their life. I did a lady the other night who had got 5 and a half weeks out of Hers they were perfect on the tips.
Maybe your lady aftert a week has washed up or picked at something and not been so careful? I wouldn't blame yourself aftert a week x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't work with cnd so not sure how long they're guaranteed for but with mine I tell my clients they're guaranteed a week after that its how you look after them is how much longer they will last as after a week they start to loose their life. I did a lady the other night who had got 5 and a half weeks out of Hers they were perfect on the tips.
Maybe your lady aftert a week has washed up or picked at something and not been so careful? I wouldn't blame yourself aftert a week x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree. After a week I would think it highly unlikely that it's something you've done. The free edging 'capping' wears off anyway with general day to day wear so this shouldn't make any difference to lifting. Sounds to me like she's been picking at something, especially as it's those particular fingers. She'll probably say 'I've no idea how it happened, I just looked down and they were like that'!!! When I get clients that say that I just give them a look and a knowing smile!!

Latest posts

Back