Shellac peeling from free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
I did my shellac brings em back course last month and have only been using it on myself. I did it about 3 weeks ago and it lasted about a week, after that it lifted from the free edge and I was able to completely peel off the full nail with ease. I re-applied 2 days ago using brisa lite smoothing gel underneath and made sure I capped the free edge with every coat and applied thinly. It is peeling from the free edge again!! I keep catching it and I don't think it will last much longer before it completely peels off again! What am I doing wrong??? x

Anyone? X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Sorry I can't help as I don't know Shellac, but others may find it helpful if you post a pic of the problem

Hi
Its either because your not prepping the nail properly or your applying the shellac too thick on the free edge....try to etch the natural nail gently before scrub fresh and ensure you don't touch the nails or allow any oils to get on the nails....as these are common reasons for the shellac not adhering correctly.

Kico Beauty

Hi
Its either because your not prepping the nail properly or your applying the shellac too thick on the free edge....try to etch the natural nail gently before scrub fresh and ensure you don't touch the nails or allow any oils to get on the nails....as these are common reasons for the shellac not adhering correctly.

Kico Beauty

No etching before Shellac.

If nail prep is good, lifting at free edge is usually because product applied too thick.

Shellac does not need any etching of buffing. This is a big no no and not required and one of the high point of CND Shellac.

Make sure you do a good pep... Remove all cuticle from the nail with cuticle remover and pusher/currette, wash with soapy water or spray with soapy water and wipe round, dry and then Scrub fresh well till squeaks remembering to do free edged

Then apply base cost very thinly and make sure you cap the free edge, cure then very thinly do your colour curing in between, remember thin to win and thin to cap free edge.

Then your top coat, thinly capping to.

Make sure you have no hairs or bits as this can cause issues especially on free edge.

Hth :)

Please please do not "etch" the natural nail prior to shellac, it is not needed And is not CND protocol!!

Am I right in thinking you are having problems with your own shellac? Are you a busy nail tech? It could be that your application is fine but products you use daily are breaking down the shellac coating such as scrub fresh, dsolve, shellac remover etc. get some hands down pads for scrub fresh and nitrile gloves for applying remover. Also try not to have to much product on free edge so just sweep your brush across once with each layer to seal.

I haven't got any clients at the minute as i'm pregnant and going to start up when i've had the baby :) just doing my courses and practicing on myself. I will not etch the nail as having been on the course I know this isn't necessary. I first thought it was my pep so last time I did my nails I spent ages making sure everything was perfect. I scrubfreshed twice and waited for them to dry before applying my shellac. It could be that i'm applying too thick, my base and colour is fine but i think i've been applying top coat too thick. I can't think what else it could be :/ thanks everyone xx

You're better off applying too thin and doing more coats than too thick. Its so hard when you start out - I remember thinking "I know I'm preping properly" until I bought Cuticle Away and Scrubfresh and realised what a difference it made! I also applied too thick at first, until I realised how thin it could be applied and still look great. Also, capping the free edge with a loaded brush could leave too much product on end of nail?

I haven't got any clients at the minute as i'm pregnant and going to start up when i've had the baby :) just doing my courses and practicing on myself. I will not etch the nail as having been on the course I know this isn't necessary. I first thought it was my pep so last time I did my nails I spent ages making sure everything was perfect. I scrubfreshed twice and waited for them to dry before applying my shellac. It could be that i'm applying too thick, my base and colour is fine but i think i've been applying top coat too thick. I can't think what else it could be :/ thanks everyone xx

Can I also add that I find it difficult when ur client doesn't have any length in their nails that's when I've noticed a problem. It's hard to cap when there's no nail free edge there. Any tips for this please. Sorry to jump on with this xx

You're better off applying too thin and doing more coats than too thick. Its so hard when you start out - I remember thinking "I know I'm preping properly" until I bought Cuticle Away and Scrubfresh and realised what a difference it made! I also applied too thick at first, until I realised how thin it could be applied and still look great. Also, capping the free edge with a loaded brush could leave too much product on end of nail?

I use the full cnd system including cuticle away and scrubfresh so I don't think it will be my pep, I'll have another go applying thinly :) xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Can I also add that I find it difficult when ur client doesn't have any length in their nails that's when I've noticed a problem. It's hard to cap when there's no nail free edge there. Any tips for this please. Sorry to jump on with this xx

That definitely makes it hard! I was told to kind of pull the tip of the finger away from the nail. Those ones are tricky but they love it when their nails grow because the Shellac encourages them to stop biting!

It's hard to cap when there's no nail free edge there. Any tips for this please. Sorry to jump on with this xx

If you can't pull the skin away then try sealing the free edge by turning your brush around and gently pushing the product over the free edge in a light back and forth motion.

To the OP, are you sure you have no delamination on the free edge of your nails?

If you can't pull the skin away then try sealing the free edge by turning your brush around and gently pushing the product over the free edge in a light back and forth motion.

To the OP, are you sure you have no delamination on the free edge of your nails?

Dumb question but what do you mean by delamination?

If you're using a new CND lamp have you removed all the blue film from inside the lamp?
For thickness, you should not have full color coverage on the first coat.
Are you shaking all of your Shellac really well?
What were you up to in the hours leading up to doing your nails? Any dishes or cleaning, lotions, etc
As for sealing super short nails see if this trick of flipping the brush around helps:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_E1hF5uWjI

Dumb question but what do you mean by delamination?

Delamination is where the natural nail peels. If you have any delamination of the nail you can gently buff with a high grit file to remove and smooth, so that the nail doesnt peel taking the product with it. Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Delamination is where the natural nail peels. If you have any delamination of the nail you can gently buff with a high grit file to remove and smooth, so that the nail doesnt peel taking the product with it. Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Gotcha! Thanks!

Think everyone has missed this but you say you're pregnant... Voila! That's probably your problem as it seems you are doing everything else correctly.

Unfortunately nails and your hair can either thrive or dive when pregnant with all your hormones etc. Sometimes pregnancy just doesn't suit shellac and it does peel and lift, other times I find it can be sooo stubborn that I can barely remove it from my pregnant ladies! I find medications especially antibiotics can have these effects too.

Try practising on someone else, friends or family member and see how they get on, I'm sure theirs will last as it seems you are doing all the correct pep, using the right equipment, being thin to win, you've done the training so it seems it may be an internal problem rather than you hun x

Latest posts

Back