Shellac peeling the day after

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyrebecca

Reaction score
Hi all I did some shellac on Saturday and by Monday it had all peeled off! I put cuticle away on filed nails into shape them pushed cuticles back then wiped off cuticle away with water then used scrub fresh under free edge have them a good scrub the did brisa base 10 sec then gel 120sec then two colours then one top but my other clients get 9 days plus and one client has still got hers on from the 3rd sept so am at a complete loss! I need to ring the lady and ask her back in for me to re do them
But what if it happened again x

Did you use just plain water? It must be soapy, i dont use cuticle away when doing shellac incase the tiniest bit is missed,

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Did you just use Scrub fresh under the free edge? If so, you need to scrub the whole nail plate and under the free edge. And as above, deactivate the cuticle away with soapy water x

Yeah it was plain water but I've never wiped cuticle away with water I just wipe it away with scrub fresh and yeah I did under the free edge. Is soapy water in a spray bottle best to use! I've been doing shellac since I did my training with sweet squared so I'm still new to this but also so gutted

Some ppl arent suited to CND shellac. What condition are her nails in? Are they very bendy? Where is it peeling from, free edge or cuticle area? Hows her health? Medication? There are many things which can affect it :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Her nails were fine no bending or nail problems she's had shellac on loads of times before and never an issue I've got a feeling it's something I have done so I've advertised some trainee shellac at £6 for plain colours so I can go over the whole process got 5 ladies so will crack on see how it goes and hope it goes ok more practice makes perfect x

Yeah it was plain water but I've never wiped cuticle away with water I just wipe it away with scrub fresh and yeah I did under the free edge. Is soapy water in a spray bottle best to use! I've been doing shellac since I did my training with sweet squared so I'm still new to this but also so gutted

You can just use water to deactivate Cuticle Away (Jeni Smith, CND Educator, has stated on here before on another thread) but I always use CND Scentsations in a spray bottle mixed with water to deactivate as that's what I was taught in my training (with Jeni Smith). Some soaps leave residue on the nail so can affect the manicure. CND Scentsations has been tested with CND Shellac and won't affect it. You shouldn't just Scrub Fresh it off as it needs the water/Scentsations water to deactivate it. Then dry, followed by Scrub Fresh over the whole nail, including the free edge. I hope this helps x

As well as using a cuticle pusher I also use a curette when using cuticle away to make sure I remove as much of the cuticle as possible. I also use just water to remove have never used soapy water and never had a problem. I apply cuticle away, go around the nail with the curette, wipe away excess cuticle away with dry pad go around with the curette again to get any I missed, spray with water and dry nails, scrub fresh whole nail including under free edge.

With this prep I never have any issues with peeling, clients always go to two weeks as long as they don't have problematic nails and a lot of them can go to 3-4 weeks if they take care of them, the majority of your clients should get much longer than 9 days x

Last edited:
Thank you for all these tips I am going to do all of them thank you all kindly I really appreciate the help x

did brisa base 10 sec then gel 120sec then two colours then one top x

Why would you apply Brisa base and gel?
Shellac service is Shellac base, 2×Shellac colour and Shellac top coat.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Because you can use the brisa gel (both sculpting and smoothing) with the shellac system :)

I think the OP meant she applied Brisa Lite Smoothing underneath the Shellac.

Yes I did sorry should of been clearer x

I think I have found the cause I did my colleagues thumb nail today I shaped cuticle away wiped off cuticle away then scrub freshed then base colour top coat d spheres and in less than an hour it had peeled off! Is this because of the cuticle away do I need to use cuticle away as I did mine also but did a dry push back and I've peeled mine off but it has been very hard and as you would
Expect slight damage to my nails! I have done this process to 5 ladies and only the 1 lady I mentioned her shellac is still on 3 weeks later! The two
Ladies I know about their shellac chipped at t free edge then they just peeled it straight off leaving jo damage I think it's cos I didn't use soap
And water to remove cuticle away can anyone help as I'm really upset with my self 😔

This is my friends nail
Today 1 hour after applying the shellac ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411677526.233657.jpg

I think I have found the cause I did my colleagues thumb nail today I shaped cuticle away wiped off cuticle away then scrub freshed then base colour top coat d spheres and in less than an hour it had peeled off! Is this because of the cuticle away do I need to use cuticle away as I did mine also but did a dry push back and I've peeled mine off but it has been very hard and as you would
Expect slight damage to my nails! I have done this process to 5 ladies and only the 1 lady I mentioned her shellac is still on 3 weeks later! The two
Ladies I know about their shellac chipped at t free edge then they just peeled it straight off leaving jo damage I think it's cos I didn't use soap
And water to remove cuticle away can anyone help as I'm really upset with my self 😔

Don't be upset with yourself we all make mistakes and you've realised yours with some help from fellow geeks. Ensure you either use Scentsations and water or water to deactivate your Cuticle Away from now on. I would also offer to redo those clients nails in the same colour free of charge so you maintain a good reputation :) If you have no more problems, great you've found the reason. If you continue to have problems look at your PEP again, maybe watch The Finger Nail Fixer's videos on You Tube about removing all the cuticle from the nail plate. :) I hope this helps xx http://youtu.be/ttxRWkbwGIg http://youtu.be/hZBZvjQhuFQ

Because you can use the brisa gel (both sculpting and smoothing) with the shellac system :)

I am aware :) I use CND.
But when someone says it's a Shellac service I didn't expect there to be any other products to make Shellac last better.
More worrisome as the product peeled even With enforcement, def sounds like a prep issue.
Glad to hear you figured out the problem.

Have you checked your lamp?

Regarding the Cuticle Away deactivation. On myself I have only used Scrubfresh afterwards and once on a client in the early days I forgot to deactivate it properly. No consequences to either scenario.

How would I check my lamp? I've checked all bulbs on which they are on bought it from cnd in May this year. I also did mine yesterday and have been struggling to peel it off I didn't use cuticle away! I've decided not to use cuticle away when doing shellac I've scared my self with it!

How would I check my lamp? I've checked all bulbs on which they are on bought it from cnd in May this year. I also did mine yesterday and have been struggling to peel it off I didn't use cuticle away! I've decided not to use cuticle away when doing shellac I've scared my self with it!

What will you be using to remove the cuticle? If it's left on the nail plate, it can cause peeling and lifting so you may be left with the same problem.

You could always contact your educator who trained you in Shellac. They should be able to go through all your steps and pinpoint which part of your pep is causing the issues

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back